Windshield mounting questions, please help me figure out.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Windshield mounting questions, please help me figure out.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Friday, February 02, 2018 - 05:07 pm:

I thought I understood how this stuff went.
Apparently I don't. I looked at a 14 I think it was that has this setup on it and I thought it was simple.I ordered the brackets and tried them today,just to get started back so I could drill the mounting holes and such.
I basically need help understanding how these mounts work please.
When clamped to the wood,around the windshield frame,the frame is loose and would flop around if I didn't have a vise grip holding it.I thought when the bolts were installed or whatever it would hold the windshield frame in place.This is not the frame I am going to use,it is the same as the 1 I have painted and ready to take to get glass for.
Why is the frame not being held tight? Which direction do the brackets go? Large 1 to the front or rear? I have a set done each way in these pics so just tell me which pic is right. I thought those brackets would really clamp down on the frame but they don't.
Do I tweek them as in bend them inwards?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Friday, February 02, 2018 - 07:19 pm:

Could it be that the wooden dash is a bit thicker than an original dash or is your dash a cleaned up original. Just a thought.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary London, Camarillo, CA on Friday, February 02, 2018 - 07:25 pm:

On a 13/14 the windshield tilts back so I would think/expect the long clamp to be towards the front to avoid interference (I'm no expert on 13/14s!).

On my brass windshield frame and clamps I put a thin leather pad inside of the clamp. It takes up any slack and protects the frame. It's thin; left over from upholstery, and trimmed to fit inside the edge of the clamp so it's not noticeable at all.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Friday, February 02, 2018 - 07:53 pm:

Thanks Gary! i have some material that would be perfect for that.
The dash is what I just built back in november.It is 3/4 inches thick.According the plans for the express pickup I bought a open car windshield is optional.But it does not show much about how it mounts up.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Saturday, February 03, 2018 - 09:17 am:

here is what I am working towards.But there is no measurements of bracket position so i will go by pictures here on the net and basically guess how far apart and such.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Saturday, February 03, 2018 - 10:33 am:

You could also use something like this;
http://www.snydersantiqueauto.com/depot-hack-firewall-and-windshield-brackets

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Saturday, February 03, 2018 - 11:06 am:

a bit pricey but looks like a good solution.I am curious will it fit this shape of windshield or are those brackets for the square cornered 1? Looks right from the 1 pic.

I had not saw those brackets,thanks for posting

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Saturday, February 03, 2018 - 11:11 am:

They are made for just this kind of setup, flat firewalls and would fit the 17-22 windshields with rounded corners. You might have to sell that frame if it is a earlier style and find the 17-22 one or come up with different mounting brackets. There are a lot of the later frames out there so that should not be hard and still give you the look you want.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kim Dobbins on Saturday, February 03, 2018 - 01:13 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nevada Bob Middleton on Saturday, February 03, 2018 - 02:24 pm:

Short clamp goes on the cab side long side goese motor side.
I had to figure left right drill then mount tighten compress to ends together if still needed.
If you need to mark the top of the firewall put in vice tap i tad try i only did the longer ones
Dont forget the trim is in there as well.
I only made it snug not tight the support arms center it
Just how i done it so just my 2 cents

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Saturday, February 03, 2018 - 04:32 pm:

Thanks folks!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration