How Do You Tell

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: How Do You Tell
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Saturday, February 03, 2018 - 02:01 am:

How do you tell if your 21" demountable wooden spoke wheels and rims are Kelsey or Hayes? Does it make a difference when swapping rims? I notice the company who makes them lists two different rims, but Lang's and Snyder's only list one.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Martin Vowell, Sylmar, CA on Saturday, February 03, 2018 - 02:49 am:

I don't think it makes any difference between the rims, whether you use Keysey-Hayes or Ford Standards...they mount the same. where it's different is the spokes...the KH's are 1/32 longer with a wider wedge too than the standards....I think.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andrew Beyer on Saturday, February 03, 2018 - 02:50 am:

Look for a manufacturer logo on one or more of the four lug nut tabs or compare the design to the illustration.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Saturday, February 03, 2018 - 04:37 am:

1 Kelsey and Hayes during the Model T era are separate companies.

2 The diagram shows clincher rims, not 21". The latter take balloon tires.

I haven't studied the rims for 21" wheels enough to comment on those.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Saturday, February 03, 2018 - 04:52 am:

What Steve said. :-) Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Saturday, February 03, 2018 - 11:33 am:

Even though the diagrams that Andrew posted are for clincher, its possible that the manufaactureres follows the same mounting tab practice in 21" production. I'll check my rims against this diagram.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Saturday, February 03, 2018 - 12:22 pm:

I don't think it matters when it comes to 21 inch rims, even 21 inch Chevrolet rims will fit with new valve stem hole drilled.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Mills_Cherry Hill NJ on Saturday, February 03, 2018 - 12:30 pm:

Terry,

The lug tabs are usually stamped for a K-H.

I do think but am not sure that on one, the outside diameter of the felloe is slightly different by a wee bit and if mismatched you may see some 'air' and thus rely on the 4 bolts totally or else get incredibly tight fit where you jack in the rim with the bolts (LOL) but as Martin says, it always works...and the bolt circle is apparently the same.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Neil Kaminar on Saturday, February 03, 2018 - 01:43 pm:

George is correct. For clincher rims, don't mismatch the rims to the felloes. It will make for a wobbly ride. My car came with mismatched rims. I found a complete set of matching rims and felloes and rebuilt the wheels using these. More better.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Sunday, February 04, 2018 - 06:36 am:

Terry, in my experience with our Canadian sourced cars, Kelsey rim lugs are fixed to the rims and there is no part of the lug which intrudes in over the felloe. The lug is drawn against the felloe by the lug bolt and is parallel to the outside face of the felloe.

Hayes rims have a 'foot' on the lug which goes on over the felloe edge around 3/4". This 'foot' requires a relief in the felloe to allow the rim to be bolted on.

This means Kelsey rims can be used on either felloe, but Hayes rims will only fit Hayes felloes.

Mark's comment that Chev rims will fit if the valve hole is re-drilled is valid, but within the same parameters, Hayes to Hayes, Kelsey to both.

I may be wrong.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andrew Beyer on Sunday, February 04, 2018 - 09:55 am:

Sorry about the wrong illustration, I shouldn't be posting at 2:50 in the morning. Still, I believe both Kelsey and Hayes stamped their logo on at least one of the lug tabs. Did you find anything?

-Andrew

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration