Wheel bearing grease 1913

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Wheel bearing grease 1913
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Thompson on Saturday, February 03, 2018 - 07:39 am:

What kind of wheel bearing grease should I use to pack the wheel bearings on a 13 touring?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dean Dorholt - Mpls, MN on Saturday, February 03, 2018 - 07:58 am:

Any good grade marked for wheel bearings, I like the red stuff.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Saturday, February 03, 2018 - 09:56 am:

Like Dean, I use the red stuff.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jeff cordes on Saturday, February 03, 2018 - 09:58 am:

I use only NOS grease

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Saturday, February 03, 2018 - 10:26 am:

I still prefer the old style fiberous type grease.
Sta Lube still makes it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Saturday, February 03, 2018 - 10:46 am:

Valvoline.....period correct!

Plus, this is made for domestic and foreign vehicles....perfect match for "The Universal Car" :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Saturday, February 03, 2018 - 10:48 am:

Some people say not to use the old style fibrous grease because it contains soap and will wash out in the rain, how may of you really drive in the rain or ford a stream everyday? :-) That being said, I use ether the red or fibrous wheel bearing grease.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Adam Doleshal on Saturday, February 03, 2018 - 10:50 am:

I like the Valvoline red grease because it turns from red to pink with the slightest amount of water contamination. Its easy to tell at a glance if the bearings need to be disassembled and re- packed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Adam Doleshal on Saturday, February 03, 2018 - 10:52 am:

FYI... Most water intrusion into Model T bearings (and even the engine) comes from frequent washing of the car...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Saturday, February 03, 2018 - 11:12 am:

Wash the car, what's that? LOL

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Mills_Cherry Hill NJ on Saturday, February 03, 2018 - 11:16 am:

Ut-oh...I'm doomed!

I only use red grease to pack my timer! Just because Royce said so...

I use black lithium for all else and have never had an issue in what is now 40+ years.

In all fairness to my comments, I do have a 'hmmm'. No issue ever in the other T's, but the Hack front wheel bearings must throw grease somewhere other than the car because I never find any! It has accessory zerk hubcaps and I went a while before opening them to check and the nut and pin were slathered...the races full...but the hubcap was near empty. On discovery I simply repacked everything and will see as this year rolls on. (Any comments on why this evaporation might be happening would be appreciated)

Maybe I should just be quiet and 'watch'...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Saturday, February 03, 2018 - 11:32 am:

I use a soft cheap grease because i think it works well with the grease cups,even the ones that say Ford on them? Bud in Wheeler,Mi.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William Hoffer on Sunday, February 04, 2018 - 06:43 am:

I like the Sta Lube fibrous grease and use it in all my antiques. It stays put and works well with both modern and felt seals. The red grease is very good also, and I have been itching to try the red tacky grease that is not supposed to melt and run out. I think Lucas makes it for heavy equipment applications and I am sure others do, too. Modern greases are amazing, particularly if you start looking at aviation greases. Bill

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration