Glass price ?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Glass price ?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Saturday, February 03, 2018 - 11:54 am:

Getting ready to install the glass in the Martin Parry wood cab project. What is a reasonable sqft price for 1/4 inch laminated glass? Anybody bought any lately?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Saturday, February 03, 2018 - 12:19 pm:

Call your local glass shop and ask. Most can get or have the glass in stock. What the price are in one location will or might not be the same elsewhere. I realize you are asking for what a reasonable price is, but sometimes if you don't want to pay shipping the price local is the most reasonable price.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Chillingworth on Saturday, February 03, 2018 - 12:33 pm:

I recently replaced the glass window in my sandblast cabinet using 1/4" safety glass. A 12"x24" piece with slight beveled edge (to prevent finger cuts) cost $20. The place is a major glass shop in town and likely not the cheapest.

Rich C.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Shirley on Saturday, February 03, 2018 - 12:40 pm:

Most shops can order tempered glass, the glass is cut to size and then tempered. This makes the glass a great deal stronger and less likely to scratch, and if it breaks, it crumbles. They can also get tempered laminated glass for the wind screen.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Saturday, February 03, 2018 - 01:51 pm:

$12 a sqft is reasonable from the sound of it. That is what the local shop price is. I have no clue as to what it should be. No better place than here to ask.
Thanks for the input.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Saturday, February 03, 2018 - 02:28 pm:

Tempered for side window but not for windshield. If a rock hits tempered glass it will shatter into a bizilion pieces, laminated will just crack. I would not want those shattered pieces flying into my face even at 35MPH. Even today I think all windshields are laminated not tempered glass.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Saturday, February 03, 2018 - 02:37 pm:

I was planning on laminated glass all around. The wood doors can flex along with the cab. If it breaks ,I would rather have it crack instead of explode. I have taken lots of glass out of vehicles over 32 years as a firefighter and that stuff goes every where. Some of the new cars and trucks are using laminated in side windows now.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Saturday, February 03, 2018 - 02:43 pm:

The only reason I could see tempered glass in the side windows is in case of a water landing, it would be easy to break out. You might ask how often does that happen, more then you might think. There are a number of water landings along the Columbia river every year here in Oregon.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration