1926 Roadster Speedometer Installation Story

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: 1926 Roadster Speedometer Installation Story
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Doris, AZ on Saturday, February 03, 2018 - 02:18 pm:

After purchasing Russ Furstnow’s excellent Speedometer manual, I acquired two Stewart 160/131 speedometer heads off eBay for a little over $120. The nicest looking one with the white face had the pot metal odometer wheels which were cracked and pretty well shot. However, the other speedometer with the black face had the nice plastic engraved odometer wheels. I simply exchanged the bad pot metal odometer wheels with the good plastic wheels from the other head. Nickel plated the bezel with the Caswell plating kit. Had to cut a clearance in the mounting bracket in order to clear the choke rod and ammeter.

Next, cut hole in dash. Using General circle cutter.

Alignment, drill, tap, (12-24) and counterbore the holes, for installation of the spiral drive road gear to hub. Sourced from Lang’s. Very nice quality bronze casting.

The 12-24 fasteners were not provided, had to make them.

Next was to acquire a cable. No speedometer cables available for this arrangement. Not even from Russ Furstnow.

After a web search, located the necessary components for making up the cable from Texas Industrial Electric.

Had to make the drive clutch and ferrule. Cable length is 60"

All said and done, The total cost for the speedometer install was $530.

Speedometer was indicating slow at first. However, there is a fast/slow adjustment in the head. After adjustment, indicates about 1 to 2 mph fast. That is fine by me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allen Banks on Saturday, February 03, 2018 - 05:31 pm:

Well done! One of these days I'll get one on my 23 roadster.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Saturday, February 03, 2018 - 06:18 pm:

Well done, indeed !

I also run a Stewart spiral drive on my Racer but just happened to have had a mint 490 head for my exotic wooden dashboard.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Adrian Whiteman, New Zealand on Monday, February 05, 2018 - 06:29 pm:

Great quality workmanship. Well done.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Wednesday, February 07, 2018 - 11:49 am:

Well done indeed! I like the quality of workmanship on the rest of your car too!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration