Hard to push lever into high gear today

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Hard to push lever into high gear today
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Saturday, February 03, 2018 - 05:20 pm:

Now here is something that Iíve never had happen before. It was 23 degrees outside. Went out and started up the T and let her warm up. Everything fine. Backed out of the driveway and started in low to go foreword .. went to push the lever forward and it didnít quite go all the way forward. So, when I tried to shift into high gear it slipped. I pushed harder on the lever and got it into high gear, but this happened a few times on my trip to the store and back. Too cold to go out and tinker today. Anyone have this lever resistance ? Was thinking it might be brake rod related.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Saturday, February 03, 2018 - 05:40 pm:

Maybe, but since this is the first time it happened it might be worthwhile to pull up the floor boards and watch the linkages as you move the brake lever forward and aft. Especially watch to make sure that the high clutch lever bolt is tracking well on the cam and that the cam surface is well greased.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gilbert V. I. Fitzhugh on Saturday, February 03, 2018 - 05:45 pm:

A simple possibility is that your floorboard has slipped and is jamming the lever. This happens often if the car has been jounced around in a trailer, but it can happen in normal driving, too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Saturday, February 03, 2018 - 05:55 pm:

Yeah ... that's what I was thinking too as a first step. But it's soooo cold outside. I'll wait until it gets warmer in the next week or so. It is odd ... never had that happen before.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Saturday, February 03, 2018 - 05:57 pm:

No ... floorboards are set in right ... checked that first off.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C-west central, MN on Saturday, February 03, 2018 - 07:02 pm:

Silly question maybe but did it want to "spring" back and you overcame the "springyness" like the brake rods were bending?
That might tell the rear brake cams were giving you grief.
Did the issue stop after thorough warm-up?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Saturday, February 03, 2018 - 09:13 pm:

Could be too long rods, or possibly, something in the brake system is frozen? If this is the first time it has happened, I would suspect the latter.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Saturday, February 03, 2018 - 09:25 pm:

Well, everything has been working text book fine for months .. so I suspect itís weather and / or road salt related. I had felt a little slipping when shifting into high a couple of days ago and was planning to do a little clutch / low gear adjusting. Maybe the weather aggravated this need for adjustment. Itís been in the teens for a high the past week.

Still kind of recovering from kidney stone surgery ... so will have to be patient and wait until Iím 100% and itís warmer.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Jablonski on Saturday, February 03, 2018 - 11:45 pm:

Possible the emergency brake cams didn't release all the way.... frozen ???? or just needing a few drops of oil ????? I agree with Norman Kling.

Wouldn't be anything to do with the rods since nothing was done to alter length.

Bob J.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Severn - SE Texas on Sunday, February 04, 2018 - 12:07 am:

I'm with Bob Jablonski. I had a brake cam go over-center and kept the car from going into high.

Bill

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration