Speedometer question

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Speedometer question
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Elliott on Saturday, February 03, 2018 - 05:27 pm:

I have an opportunity to purchase a brand new set of Stutzman wheels, fully done and ready to paint. These were made for a 1914 T, so the front hub does have the speedometer shoulder. I know a 1910 is supposed to have a smaller hub without the speedometer shoulder, but I'm not restoring this car for judging; I want it as correct as I can within reason, but these wheels are ready to go. What I want to know is, will the speedometer road gear that goes on a 1914 hub work with the other 1910 speedometer parts? I currently don't have any of the other 1910 parts, other than the speedometer itself and the part that holds the swivel.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Saturday, February 03, 2018 - 05:39 pm:

I would contact Russ Furstnow. He will know what you need, and will probably have it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Saturday, February 03, 2018 - 06:15 pm:

The same gear (60 tooth) will work on all 30" front wheels BUT the same gears comes in several variations in regards to mounting.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary London, Camarillo, CA on Saturday, February 03, 2018 - 06:15 pm:

I agree with Steve on contacting Russ, especially because he will have ideas on what to use that you may not think of.

The nutshell answer is it will work as long as the tooth count is the same (I'm pretty sure it is, and just the swivel ratio is different).

The other option you have is getting the correct road gear and mounting it to the wheel as it normally would, direct to the wood with spacers, and just ignore the machined shoulder on the wheel. It would look fine. Few people would notice (other than someone thinking you should have small hubs) and those people don't count!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Elliott on Saturday, February 03, 2018 - 06:32 pm:

Gary, that's a great idea - I didn't even consider that possibility!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Corey Walker, Brownsboro TX on Saturday, February 03, 2018 - 06:58 pm:

If you mount the road gear to the spokes as usual then someday when you aren't even looking you'll find a deal on some 5 1/2" hubs and you could just replace them later not affecting your speedometer setup. I've got a 14 with the later hubs and the speedometer gear mounted to the spokes. Nobody knows the hubs are wrong but me or T people. People did ask questions when I had only the gear without the swivel or other parts.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Val Soupios on Sunday, February 04, 2018 - 01:29 pm:

I have later hubs with the early road gear on my '10 and it looks and works just fine!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Parker on Sunday, February 04, 2018 - 08:12 pm:

Yes, it will work as others have said and you need the 60T 8P on whichever road gear you mount up.

The 1910 uses a brass Stewart #22 road gear (Lang's carries it), 60T 8P, and it mounts to the spokes just as the black Stewart #1322 60T 8P does on my early '14. They can both mount with four screws and spacers. There is also a 3-screw Stewart #1322 that mounts to the spokes.

If I had to buy a RG, I would get a brass Stewart #22 and Russ Furstnow's speedometer book so you know what else you are looking for.

The Stewart #8685 is the one that is supposed to fit the machined hub and if I had one I would use it on your '14 machined hub since the alignment is simple with that RG. The Stewart #11077 60T 8P is another one that could work. It will hub or spoke mount. I just checked it and it will spoke mount on a 1913 hub but I don't have a machined hub to check it on.

It is not hard to spoke mount the black Stewart #1322's because the spacers are right next to the hub flange and you could drop a brass #22 in its place when you found one.

Ken in Texas

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Elliott on Sunday, February 04, 2018 - 10:58 pm:

Thanks for all the great input fella's, I really appreciate it!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Monday, February 05, 2018 - 10:54 am:

Keep in mind that for a portion of the year in 1914, there were no speedometers. Some of the early ones still used the 1913 Stewart, and towards the end of the '14 production year they used Ford Specials. If your T is between those two areas, you are going to need a Stewart model 100, and when you go to mount it to the firewall, find out where they were mounted, don't just guess.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary London, Camarillo, CA on Monday, February 05, 2018 - 12:28 pm:

Larry, he is mounting this on a 1910.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration