Engine rebuild

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Engine rebuild
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ralph Fitz-Gerald - Vermont on Saturday, February 03, 2018 - 08:51 pm:

Has anyone had the Babbitt pot rebuild there motor. Just pulled mine and it needs to rebuilt.
Thanks
Fitz

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Spencer Vibert - Granby ,CT on Saturday, February 03, 2018 - 09:13 pm:

yep and I had to send it back 3 times that is why I pour and line bore my own bearings

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charles Bocchi on Saturday, February 03, 2018 - 09:34 pm:

Are you talking about the babbit pot in fort edward?I believe that is closed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ralph Fitz-Gerald - Vermont on Sunday, February 04, 2018 - 07:10 am:

Yes I am thinking of the Babbitt Pot in Fort Edwards. He is a little over an hour away from where I live.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charles Bocchi on Sunday, February 04, 2018 - 09:36 am:

Ralph, I live about 8 miles from the place. I see it's on google with different listings. I'll drive by on Monday and look at it in person.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Neil Kaminar on Sunday, February 04, 2018 - 09:53 am:

Does anyone have any experience using James M Rogers to pour and bore main bearings?

Neil

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Houston---WNC on Sunday, February 04, 2018 - 11:16 am:

I have had three(3)motors('19,'26&'27)completely rebuilt by James Rogers over the past 4 years.These motors are in drivers.So far have not had problem with any one of them.The first one I had built was for my touring it most likely has 3000+ miles on it,the second one in a rd/pu has 7000-9000 (hard)miles and the last in a coupe has about 2000 miles. So far only a few leaks,most fixed with regular maintenance. It take him about 6 weeks to do the complete rebuild but charges a fair price for a great job. He guaranteed his work to me. Very pleased with what he does.I will use him again when I buy an other model T (I am looking at a '13 to
buy)--davids

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ralph Fitz-Gerald - Vermont on Sunday, February 04, 2018 - 11:56 am:

Charlie that would greatly appreciated

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Neil Kaminar on Sunday, February 04, 2018 - 07:07 pm:

David,

Thank you very much for the info. I am just starting to take my engine apart. James is a day trip there and back from where I live near Greensboro, North Carolina.

Neil

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charles Bocchi on Monday, February 05, 2018 - 02:53 pm:

Ralph, I went by this morning. We had 10 inches of snow last night and the place was all cleaned up. I went inside and got a card from the owner. We talked for about 15 min. While we talked I saw at lease 5 T blocks with bearings poured in them. Ziggy (the owner) said he has been there since the early 70's. He told me that he will be in Florida starting feb 18 for a month. I think if you are only an hour away a road-trip might be worth your time, or at lease a phone call.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem S.E. Michigan on Monday, February 05, 2018 - 03:00 pm:

Ralph,

Before you go for babbitt, have your crank magnafluxed and the journals checked for out-of-round. No sense fitting in a bad crank.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charles Bocchi on Monday, February 05, 2018 - 04:36 pm:

good call Jerry

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Mazza north Adams ma on Monday, February 05, 2018 - 04:59 pm:

It is also a time of which to consider. You could reassemble yourself to save funds. Funds that could be used for a scat crank or if you find you need new drums. Iím still doing just that and will place engine back in as soon as it gets warmer. I do have the crankcase alignment tool, cam cover alignment tool and some others if you need. Iím not far from you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ralph Fitz-Gerald - Vermont on Tuesday, February 06, 2018 - 08:25 am:

Charlie Thanks for making time to go see and talk to Ziggy. I need to make some time next week and go and see him and his shop.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Greg sarky K on Tuesday, February 06, 2018 - 11:36 am:

Much of motor rebuilds is dependent on word of mouth. The problem is many donít know how to judge what is good and what is not. So you ending getting bad advice but with good intention. I know many friends who just went the least expensive route and without exception had to have their engine rebuilt a second time.

I was given bad advice early on and came to the conclusion that you have to be very discriminating in your choice of builder.

For myself, I have had three early T engines done by J and M Machine In Southborough MA and there has never been a problem. Very knowledgeable guys who wonít cut corners even if you insist they do..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Tuesday, February 06, 2018 - 11:54 am:

I would suggest adding babbitt thrust face to the block. Give you 2x the amount of thrust face to work with. Also, if needed, clean and polish the flange where it rides up to the thrust face. Most are cupped and have ridges in them that will work the babbitt down just like a file.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charles Bocchi on Wednesday, February 07, 2018 - 11:14 am:

Greg, I had a complete engine mag and trans. done by J&M. Very happy with the results. This power plant will live another 100 years plus

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration