Dating Headlights

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Dating Headlights
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Annaian - Moultonborough NH on Saturday, February 03, 2018 - 10:21 pm:

Hi again guys...

Back with another "How to tell the year?" post.

Don't worry, I know the obvious differences between years with headlights! :-)

How can I tell the difference between the different black era style headlights? As in tell the year? Differences between them?

Would like to try and date the pair I just got. I think there was a difference I have read between mag lights and then battery types, which had grounded bulbs?

Thanks all once again!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Saturday, February 03, 2018 - 11:40 pm:

1915-18 lights had the adjustment screw above the bulb socket; '19-25 had the screw to the side of the socket. The base of the mounting arm had a square base on it for '15-early'17, and a V-shaped base from then on. '26 and '27 had totally different mounting bases.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Chillingworth on Sunday, February 04, 2018 - 01:49 am:

The MTFCI Judging Guidelines along with Mike W have the change from square base to V-shaped mounting configuration preceding the location change of the focus screw. However, here is a headlight bucket where the focus screw is in the new location, but the mounting base is still the old square based type. I have two of these and consider them oddities. What year(s) do they belong to?

Different suppliers?

Rich C.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Hand on Sunday, February 04, 2018 - 04:17 am:

Now throw in the lamps that my 1920 touring car has with NO adjustment screw.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Sunday, February 04, 2018 - 04:27 am:

One of my T's (1916 Canadian) has the right focus screw and stork but the rims are not the twist fit, just push on and a lock screw.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Hand on Sunday, February 04, 2018 - 04:44 am:

In addition to NO focus screw on the headlamps that my 1920 has they have a 2 bulb reflector such as listed in the "encyclopedia" under lamps. In the adjustment on my lamps the sleeve thru the lamp housing is a friction fit, sliding the sleeve in or out to focus. From the encyclopedia on this site.
1919-1920

HEADLAMPS

6511CX

Same appearance as the 1918 lamps but now provided with sockets for two 6-8 volt lamps on those cars supplied with electrical equipment. The main bulb was 6-8 volt, 16 C.P. and the “dim” bulb located in the upper part of the reflector was 2-1/4 C.P. (the same bulb used in the tail light). Magneto lamps were dimmed with a resistor or inductance and were the same as the 1918 type.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Annaian - Moultonborough NH on Sunday, February 04, 2018 - 07:25 am:

Rich, I have one of those too!!

once again guys, amazing job. All this information is great. I'm sure this post will help someone else too eventually.

Appears that I have one 19-25 one for sure, and the other is a 19-25 but has a square base!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Sunday, February 04, 2018 - 09:29 am:

Rich, et al -- The Judging Guidelines is where I got that info. Who knows whether it's correct? :-)

Some things we do (supposedly) know: The square mounting base began in 1915 and was earlier than the V-type; The adjusting screw located at the top began in 1915 and was earlier than the hole-beside-the-socket arrangement. The exact dates of those changes aren't known, and they probably didn't occur at the same time for all parts manufacturers when there were more than one making them for Ford.

The changes in the Guidelines usually are taken from Ford's written records, but real-life cars and parts sometimes dispute those records. Your headlights, as pictured above, are examples of that.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Sunday, February 04, 2018 - 09:40 am:

Personally I'd rather date a pair of brunettes, but that's just my peference. :-)

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration