Now here is a question for you -

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Now here is a question for you -
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John F. Regan on Saturday, February 03, 2018 - 10:30 pm:

Anybody know what a "frustum" is and if it ever appeared on or as a part of the Model T?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Saturday, February 03, 2018 - 10:54 pm:

Wheel bearing races come to mind.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Saturday, February 03, 2018 - 11:04 pm:

"Frustum" as far as a Motel T part would or could be, is the shim on the rear axle.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Saturday, February 03, 2018 - 11:08 pm:

Sorry, when I say shim, I mean the spacer shim to space the hub out, Frustum, a cone with the top cut off.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, February 04, 2018 - 12:19 am:

noun ( pl. -ta or -tums ) Geometry
the portion of a cone or pyramid that remains after its upper part has been cut off by a plane parallel to its base, or that is intercepted between two such planes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andre Valkenaers on Sunday, February 04, 2018 - 02:06 am:

"Frustum" is Latin and means: "what is left over"
In Geometry it is the part that is "left over" when cutting a cone or a pyramid.
In landscape it is "what is left over" after erosion by weather and climate.
For us, people, it is "what is left over" after a big frustration a deception.

This is what I remember of my school time some 50 years ago.

Andre
Belgium

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Sunday, February 04, 2018 - 02:18 am:

Yep, a cone, the axle/hub shim, any other thoughts on T parts?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John F. Regan on Sunday, February 04, 2018 - 02:39 am:

The term Frustum is in fact used to describe the formation of the front cross member of the frame around the 9/16 square hole. The hole is supposed to be in a pocket area that is shaped like a Frustum. The exact wording of the 1915 version of the front cross member Ford drawing that I was looking at shows a leader pointing to the 9/16 square spring center bolt hole that reads "Pocket to be Frustum of a Pyramid" So they were assuming you were using a pyramid to envision how to shape it. Maybe somebody in Egypt can provide us a better idea of what that should be :-) There are a number of shaping dimensional details but in truth it looks like you could just hit it with a big hammer to create a 1/8" deep pocket and it would be "close enough" :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Sunday, February 04, 2018 - 03:01 am:

That makes sense John, a smack with a spike and the end result would be a Pyramid Frustum.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration