Can This Damaged Rim Be Repaired?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Can This Damaged Rim Be Repaired?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Emering on Sunday, February 04, 2018 - 10:31 am:

Can this rim be safely repaired or should I find a good one?

Thank you for helping a new T owner.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire (La Florida!) on Sunday, February 04, 2018 - 10:38 am:

If you are talking about the cut out on the lug I've seen that often with the rim used like that it was done to make for easier installation on the wheel especially when converting Chevy rims for use on fords

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Sunday, February 04, 2018 - 10:57 am:

They either came that way or were cut like G.R. suggests. I don't think Chevy rims would work because the hole for the valve is in a different location in relation to the lugs. That cut makes it easier to install the valve into the felloe.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Emering on Sunday, February 04, 2018 - 11:07 am:

What a dope I am!
I thought the lug was damaged.

Thank you for the free education!

Enjoy the Superbowl.
As a Giant fan, I, might not be able to watch

Gene

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, February 04, 2018 - 11:19 am:

That may actually be a Chebby rim adapted for use on a Ford. It's easy enough to find out. A Ford rim is 27/8" wide. A Chevrolet rim is 3".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Layden Butler on Sunday, February 04, 2018 - 11:59 am:

y

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Sunday, February 04, 2018 - 05:50 pm:

There's a bit going on here. If that is a Chevy rim, there will be another valve stem hole, perhaps welded shut, to the left of the slotted lug. If it is a Chevy rim, that slot in the lug is usually straight up and down, not angled as that one is. If it is a Chevy rim, the rim will be around 1/4"+ wider than a Ford rim.

If it is a Ford rim, it has been relieved like Chevy rim to allow easier installation.

Hope this helps.
Allan from down under.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration