Sure-Mike

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Sure-Mike
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ralph Fitz-Gerald - Vermont on Sunday, February 04, 2018 - 12:09 pm:

I have in my collection of t parts 2 different size sure mike cranks one appears to weight just bit more than a standard crank. The larger one has bigger counterbalances and more meat in the webs. The large one has casting number of R 2377. Any information on these would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Fitz

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Bender Tulsa Oklahoma on Sunday, February 04, 2018 - 04:24 pm:

I have seen a large version of the Sure Mike crank that was in a dirt track race car that Bill Barth restored for Speedway Motors. Large counterbalance and very thick webs, The mains and rods were larger than a T Model crank but I don't remember the size. There are ads for their large crank.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ralph Fitz-Gerald - Vermont on Sunday, February 04, 2018 - 08:11 pm:

Mike, thanks I will get my mic out and see what the mains and rods measure

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Gelfer, Milwaukee WI on Sunday, February 04, 2018 - 09:51 pm:

Hi Ralph. I have what must be an earlier version of the Sure Mike crankshaft. The casting # is F8 H. It does have pretty large counter balancers. I'm using a cheap $10 Harbor Freight micrometer, and both mains and rods measure out at 1.25".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ralph Fitz-Gerald - Vermont on Sunday, February 04, 2018 - 10:16 pm:

Hi John, do you have it in your car?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Noel D. Chicoine, MD, Pierre, SD on Monday, February 05, 2018 - 12:20 am:

I've got one in my 26. It's in winter storage at the moment and I really don't want to pull the pan but I will say it's my smoothest running T.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Gelfer, Milwaukee WI on Monday, February 05, 2018 - 09:31 pm:

Hi Ralph. I am using the Sure Mike in my car. It is out now due to some other engine work being done. I've been running it for the past 9 years, and my father-in-law ran it for almost 30 years. It is a very smooth running engine with that counter balanced crank. Just had it magnafluxed to make sure it is OK. It passed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ralph Fitz-Gerald - Vermont on Monday, February 05, 2018 - 09:53 pm:

The sure mike crank that was in my tour car,was found by my dad in a junk yard near Saginaw Michigan back in the early 50's. He then had a local trade school rebuild the motor and install this crank. My hope is that I can install this other sure mike which is beefier

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed Baudoux Grayling Michigan on Monday, February 05, 2018 - 09:58 pm:

Ralph, any idea what the name of the junkyard was? That's my old stomping grounds.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ralph Fitz-Gerald - Vermont on Tuesday, February 06, 2018 - 07:34 am:

No I do not Ed, my Dad has past so all of these secret model t junk yards are gone with him. Ed did you know a William Dreist, he restored cords and dusenburg and lives in the Saginaw area.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Tuesday, February 06, 2018 - 10:42 am:

Cool to know there was a thicker and better version of the Sure Mike crank made :-)

They must be rare, though? Never seen them mentioned before - and there's been lots of threads over the years about Sure Mike / "Sure break" cranks :-)

Pictures would be great, if possible?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, February 06, 2018 - 02:33 pm:

Oops! Posted in the wrong place. Website won't let me delete it.

(Message edited by steve_jelf_parkerfield_ks on February 06, 2018)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ralph Fitz-Gerald - Vermont on Tuesday, February 06, 2018 - 07:00 pm:

Roger I will attempt to upload. If it does not if you send me your email I will send them to you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Russell Furstnow Jr. on Tuesday, February 06, 2018 - 10:57 pm:

I only found "sure mike" and what looks like a small "cf" on mine. Which webs are thicker? Here are pictures.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed Baudoux Grayling Michigan on Wednesday, February 07, 2018 - 06:29 am:

Ralph, yes I know Bill. I spoke with him at the 2017 Greenfield Village Old Car Festival. He was there with his wife Liz, serving as a judge. We used to meet for live music at a bar two blocks from the Sure-Mike building, in the 1980's.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Gelfer, Milwaukee WI on Thursday, February 15, 2018 - 05:27 pm:

Here's mine.
\image(file)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Gelfer, Milwaukee WI on Thursday, February 15, 2018 - 05:45 pm:

?
file

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Gelfer, Milwaukee WI on Thursday, February 15, 2018 - 05:46 pm:

I think the webs are smaller on mine.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration