Have anybody experienced that?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Have anybody experienced that?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Deichmann, Blistrup, Danmark on Sunday, February 04, 2018 - 04:25 pm:

For various reasons, I decided to swap the radiator on my pick-up with the one I had on the Fordor. The pick-ups rad was original and leaking, while the Fordors was rebuild with a modern element and OK. For the Fordor I intent to buy a new one from Bergs or Brassworks.
To my great surprise, the radiator, that fitted perfectly on the Fordor did not fit the pick-up. They are supposed to be 1921 and 1922 so the frames should be the same, but the holes in the crossbar was 1/4" closer to each other than the pins and brackets. I had to file the various holes distributing the 1/4" to them.
I believed one of Henrys hallmarks was that parts should be exchangable? :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Sunday, February 04, 2018 - 04:33 pm:

Sounds like the front frame crossmember is sagged on one or both cars.

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/331880/401008.html?1384388562

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Denny Seth - Jefferson, Ohio on Sunday, February 04, 2018 - 04:35 pm:

Check to see if your frame is sagging or bent. A sagging frame will change the center of the holes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Denny Seth - Jefferson, Ohio on Sunday, February 04, 2018 - 04:35 pm:

Boy you're fast Mark :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Sunday, February 04, 2018 - 07:22 pm:

Another thing to check is the height of the radiator. I have a 22 with a low radiator but a friend has what he calls a 22 which has a high radiator.! The change was supposed to take place during 1923 model year, but his was either manufactured in a different plant or the title shows the wrong year. I am not familiar with the differences between the Canadian cars and United States cars. Perhaps that is one of the differences. I don't know where his was manufactured. He also has a slant windshield with a one man top and mine has a straight windshield with two man top.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Sunday, February 04, 2018 - 07:35 pm:

I noticed this years ago when I set a radiator on a chassis and it turns out the cross member was cracked and each side of the chassis was separating and heading outboard.You might want to remove the front spring mount on the vehicle with the widest gap and look under it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Deichmann, Blistrup, Danmark on Monday, February 05, 2018 - 12:03 am:

Of course the frame was my first idea, but a quick inspection of the rivets did not reveal any loosenes. The frame was painted when the car was build in 1963 and no signs either that the parts where moved apart. The rails also was not twisted or anything. The frontend looked nice and square.
That is the Pick-up frame.
The Fordor I have not inspected yet.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Monday, February 05, 2018 - 06:46 am:

Michael, measure the distance between the holes on the frame where the radiator mounts. I'll bet the they are too wide, I don't recall the measurement for sure, but I think it is 20 1/2" center to center. That has nothing to do with loose rivets or twisted rails. Over time the front crossmember can, and will, spread from use, that sounds like what your problem is. Search the forum for this problem and you will find out how to fix the problem, usually using a jack and chain to bring the crossmember back into spec. Don't modify your radiator, fix the problem. Hope this helps. Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees _____Tax Capital, NY on Monday, February 05, 2018 - 08:48 am:

21 1/2" center to center on the mount holes of the frame is the correct dimension. I just spent alot of time straitening a frame in several areas.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Thursday, February 08, 2018 - 07:03 am:

Thanks Chad, that's why I said "I think" :-) Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Thursday, February 08, 2018 - 10:53 am:

Twenty odd years ago when i went to install the new brassworks rad on my not correct 15 i found a big difference in what was and what should have been.I used 4 studs and nuts welded offseat on pices of 10ga that the pads covered.Yes i could have pulled the engine,and body to tweak the frame but this was easier and cheap!! Lazy bud in Wheeler,Mi.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Thursday, February 08, 2018 - 01:15 pm:

I found the same problem on my '15 built '16. Used a come-a-long and squeezed the frame together (it was all nicely painted) and when done, the radiator fit perfectly, and the front fender irons were parallel to each other, no sag! There was no sign of the crossmember being spread, but it was. I suspect the radiator cross piece is part of the frame reinforcement. Would explain that large metal piece in the radiator core.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration