Old Photo - Shawmut tires

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Old Photo - Shawmut tires
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Herb Iffrig on Monday, February 05, 2018 - 12:16 am:

At least that is what the sign looks like it says.

Wasn't Shawmut an automobile brand?
I thought it was in the trans-continental race.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Monday, February 05, 2018 - 12:54 am:

Yes they actually won and i think i have read Shawmut was a indian tribe? Bud in Wheeler,Mi.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Denny Seth - Jefferson, Ohio on Monday, February 05, 2018 - 08:52 am:

Those don't look like Indians!

Shawmut was also a railroad that ran between Buffalo NY and Pittsburgh PA.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Monday, February 05, 2018 - 09:27 am:

Cropped and converted to grayscale with increased contrast.

pic

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Monday, February 05, 2018 - 12:16 pm:

Shawmut is the Indian word for the area around Boston.
I remember the Shawmut Bank branch in my home town and the main one in Boston.
They had an Indian on their buildings and paperwork!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Spaziano, Bellflower, CA. on Monday, February 05, 2018 - 01:24 pm:

I believe Shawmut was one of the tire suppliers to Cushman Motor Works for their motor scooter tires.
I know for sure that they were a producer of 4.00x8 wheelbarrow tires. This was the same size tire used on the 30 and 50 series scooters.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Monday, February 05, 2018 - 05:29 pm:

The first thing that comes to mind is the running board box on the Thomas Flyer. It has the Shawmut name on it. The car was shipped on the steamer S.S. Shawmut to Japan and a box from that ship was supposedly added. There was a Shawmut Motor Co., Stoneham, Ma. 1905-1909.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Monday, February 05, 2018 - 05:30 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Monday, February 05, 2018 - 05:52 pm:

This patent was assigned to the Shawmut tire company: https://patents.google.com/patent/US995961A/en

Also "An inner-tube assembly that includes an inner-tube and a valve assembly. ... 1910-05-21: 1911-06-20: Shawmut Tire Company"
https://patents.google.com/patent/US8122927B2/en

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Denny Seth - Jefferson, Ohio on Monday, February 05, 2018 - 07:10 pm:

So the running board box on the Thomas Flyer would have Shawmut inner tubes and valve stems etc in it?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert L. Rampton on Tuesday, February 06, 2018 - 12:42 pm:

As per period records, the official tires for The Flyer were Diamond Tires and tubes. I'm sure any tire that could be had that fit was used, Shawmut Tires possible among them. As for the box on the running board, the ship (Shawmut) and the tire brand were unrelated, so I imagine the box was used for anything that needed stowing during the Asia/Russia/Europe part of the adventure.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration