Ross type steering question?????

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Ross type steering question?????
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By brass car guy on Monday, February 05, 2018 - 12:26 am:

I recently had an aftermarket model t steering gear given to me. This is similar to the Ross however its made in Nebraska and no information about instalation.

Now my question:

I need to match this gear with a model t column. I have one that will work and fit. What about the triple gears in the steering housing. Do I remove them , use them or if I remove them how do you connect the steering wheel shaft to the triple gear shaft?

thnx

brasscarguy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan McEachern on Monday, February 05, 2018 - 01:46 am:

Les Schubert makes a plate to lock the steering shaft to the steering wheel shaft, replacing the planetary gears.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Matthiesen on Monday, February 05, 2018 - 02:21 am:

Many years ago I had a original Ross steering gear in a T speedster. The Ross shaft is longer and runs from the gear end to the T steering wheel end, there are no triple gears or a sun gear. You will need to remove the triple gears and lock the T sun gear to the T triple gear shaft and most likely need a modern steering gear U joint to connect the T shaft to the Ross type gear shaft. At one time someone was making a locking device that goes over 3 short triple gear pins and grabs the T sun gear teeth. Another option would be to make a new shaft from T steering wheel to modern U joint connecting to Ross type gear shaft.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Matthiesen on Monday, February 05, 2018 - 02:27 am:

Thanks Dan for Les's name on the locking plate. I got back to typing this and didn't see your post.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By brass car guy on Wednesday, February 07, 2018 - 12:14 am:

Les, can you pm me to purchase the above mentioned
plates?

thnx

brasscarguy@comcast.net

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Wednesday, February 07, 2018 - 04:19 pm:

Hi
Yes I have the discs in stock for the 5-1 version. If there is some interest, I could get some of the 4-1 version made. Iím away for another couple of weeks

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration