Towncar window help needed!

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Towncar window help needed!
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank Seress, Prescott Az. on Monday, February 05, 2018 - 02:37 pm:

I cant figure out how and what the window pull strap hooks onto the wood window frame inside the doors. Can someone with a towncar please lift your window on one of your doors high enough to expose the attachment point of the pullstrap and take a picture, please! Thank You for a greatly needed help. Frank

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dufault on Monday, February 05, 2018 - 05:11 pm:

On my Centerdoor, the window is lifted to its full height, then pushed slightly outward and a "lip" on the lower portion of the window frame "catches" on the door portion of the frame and holds the window securely in place, while the pull strap just hangs limp.

Could your Towncar have the same solution?

There is no intermediate position for my window...either full up or full down (and full down is not really "all the way down").

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Gitts - Ferndale, WA on Monday, February 05, 2018 - 05:30 pm:

Frank: On my towncar, the strap merely screws onto the bottom face of the window frame. The strap then folds over the two screws and hides them. It appears original on mine, so I don't think there's anything fancy about it. Hope these two photos help.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank Seress, Prescott Az. on Monday, February 05, 2018 - 05:37 pm:

Thank you David, unlike the centerdoor the towncar window glass has a wood frame. The pullstrap attaches to the bottom of the wood frame that I am concerned with. The centerdoor that I unfortunately no longer own, did not have a frame around the glass and there was a metal channel on the bottom but there is no room for any metal device and the strap in this car door, That is my dilemma. Frank

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank Seress, Prescott Az. on Monday, February 05, 2018 - 05:41 pm:

It looks like Les and I were writing at the same time. Les, could it be that simple that I am making such a big deal about nothing? Thank You for the pictures. Frank

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Gitts - Ferndale, WA on Monday, February 05, 2018 - 05:44 pm:

Yup, it's a pretty simple attachment. One of our club members is having a 1909 town car restored and I looked at those doors/windows and they also had the same two screw holes in the window frame for the same simple mounting. Pretty sure this is correct.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Kable - Kiama NSW OZ on Monday, February 05, 2018 - 06:26 pm:

You have not mentioned what year your Town Car is

But if it has wooden framed windows then it should be similar to this photo. As there were different builders in the day variations may have occured.

The strap is screwed to the middle of the bottom of the frame. Could have a brass cover over the end as in the picture.

There is a second strap behind the trim strap of leather which has holes punched in it at various positions. On the door trim there is a button which the leather strap can be set on to hold the window at various heights between don and fully up.

TC strap

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Gitts - Ferndale, WA on Monday, February 05, 2018 - 06:33 pm:

Mine is a 1913. It does not have the button nor the second strap to hold the window in various positions. Mine is simply all the way up or down. It did not have the brass cover either. I imagine there's differences between years and body maker.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry & Sharon Miller, Westminster, CO on Monday, February 05, 2018 - 08:18 pm:

Frank,

Did you receive the photos of our center door channels that I sent to you?

Les & Peter,

Thank you for the photos. A lot of questions answered.

Terry

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank Seress, Prescott Az. on Tuesday, February 06, 2018 - 11:18 am:

Peter, any chance of a more complete picture of the brass plate securing the strap to the window?
Great flowery detail of the strap. I have been getting beautiful ideas for detail in upholstery from all the pictures, when they finally get to it in about a month. Frank

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank Seress, Prescott Az. on Tuesday, February 06, 2018 - 11:27 am:

I forgot, my towncar is a 1912 reproduction body by Ray Wells and he made it around 20 years ago but it was never installed on a frame or painted till I purchased it 16 months ago.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Kable - Kiama NSW OZ on Tuesday, February 06, 2018 - 08:57 pm:

Here you go Frank,

strap 01

strap 02

The brass plate helps spread the load from the screws as well as finish it off.

Note the strap also locks the window in the up position if needed.

Don't know if you guys had them but such straps were a normal feature on our train carriages years ago. They only used the leather strap with adjusting holes so you can change the window height.

The cover strap increases the price of the car but probably Ford skipped it especially on later Town Cars. I found the braid which was tones of green and white and the wife dyed them red.

Here is another of the rear compartment, it was small enough to post, may be of interest to some.
Interior 01

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration