OT- looking for a WWII Avro Lancaster bomber

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: OT- looking for a WWII Avro Lancaster bomber
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By dale w on Monday, February 05, 2018 - 05:39 pm:

Ok, not an ACTUAL bomber!
What I am trying to find is a print of a painting I saw maybe a decade ago.

It is an early morning scene of a farmer harnessing up a draft horse near a gate on an English farm. His attention is not on the horse, but rather on a pair of low-flying Lancasters coming home from an overnight bombing mission, just above the treeline at the far end of his pasture. I think they are banking, landing gear down and the rear one is trailing smoke from a feathered engine.

At least thats how I remember it.

Anyway, I've been trying to find this print, off and on for a few years now, but apparently it is no longer available and using the Google machine has gotten me nowhere. I may have originally seen it in Aviation Art magazine, but I cant be sure even of that....

Given our broadly shared interest in history, I'm hoping someone on here might physically have, or have seen this print somewhere or who might know who may have done the original painting.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Adrian Whiteman, New Zealand on Monday, February 05, 2018 - 06:32 pm:

There is an actual bomber here in New Zealand, Well maybe it is plastic and a movie prop! But Peter Jackson has had one made of fibreglass for a movie project....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Howard D. Dennis Byron, Georgia on Monday, February 05, 2018 - 06:54 pm:

Dale, are you positive it was an Avro Lancaster?
I ask because I found a very similar print of a B-17 titled " Heaven Can Wait" and shows the return of a shot up American bomber returning with wounded on board and I believe it shows an actual event.

Howard Dennis

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A Bartsch on Monday, February 05, 2018 - 07:35 pm:

This one is closer but no cigar, http://www.ebay.ca/itm/aviation-art-Dambusters-pilot-signed-Ltd-edition-WW2-RAF- Avro-Lancaster-print-/301235844875

jb

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Monday, February 05, 2018 - 08:32 pm:

Dale,

While I didn't find one with two Lancasters, early morning and a draft horse I did locate:

A sunset, farm fence, engine smoking but single Lancaster at:
http://www.pixoto.com/images-photography/transportation/airplanes/returning-home-5679063613046784

And two Lancasters flying low at: http://www.pixoto.com/images-photography/digital-art/places/flying-over-loch-awe-6459401725542400

I had a special time being reminded of the sacrifices so many from the Greatest Generation made for us. From the last two sites at http://alanandric.blogspot.com/ and http://www.englisc-gateway.com/bbs/topic/35538-the-heroes-of-bomber-command-were-finally-given-a-fitting-memorial-we-will-remember-them/ I found the picture below:

It is the Battle of Britain Memorial Lancaster releasing red poppies. One for of each of the 55,573 airman who were killed out of the 150,000 who served in Bomber Command. And I think I will stop here as for some reason I seam to be having trouble seeing.

Gratefully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By dale w on Monday, February 05, 2018 - 09:27 pm:

Howard,
I cant be certain-working from a faulty memory- but I thought it was a morning scene with aircraft
returning from a night sortie.
Therefore British bombers.
HOWEVER it could be an evening scene, the farmer removing the harness and the presumed sunrise actually a sunset. Without a recognizable landmark to orientate you I dont know how you could tell!
If it is evening then it would probably be U.S. B17, 24 or 25s after a day over the continent.

I'm pretty sure they were Lancasters, but I cant swear to it.

The images posted so far (Thank You all), while not the one I'm looking for, are great! I especially like the one with the Burrell(?) traction engine.
If you look closely, you can see there is another machine on the headland at the far end of the field and the contraption mid-field between the two steam engines is a multi-bottomed cable plow.
Under the boiler on the closest machine you can see the large cable drum that wound in a cable attached to the plow that pulled it across the field as the other engine played out its similarly attached cable.
Once the plow reached the end of the field the plows were raised and the engines moved ahead in tandem the same length as the width of the cut. Then a second set of plows facing the opposite direction were lowered and it was drawn back across the field, over and over until the entire plot was turned under.
Unfortunately, this method of plowing never caught on in the U.S or Canada due to the vast size of the fields that were being developed here. Too Bad.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Fielding "Ewe-taw" on Monday, February 05, 2018 - 10:00 pm:

Dale,
Not to send your original post into a tailspin, but if you have never seen cable plowing it is a sight to behold,
Kevin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wc0QNh0P_0k

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By dale w on Monday, February 05, 2018 - 10:14 pm:

Kevin,
Nice! I like that human tail-weight.
It must be weird steering that plow- all you would hear is the hiss of the plow cutting through the stubble and the sod crumbling. Probably quieter than horses!

Thanks for posting the link!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Doris, AZ on Monday, February 05, 2018 - 11:39 pm:

Kevin, Thanks for sharing that video on cable plowing. Had heard talk of the method and had seen the cable drums on the English steam tractors but never really understood how it worked. The things you learn on the Forum. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C-west central, MN on Monday, February 05, 2018 - 11:49 pm:

WHOLE lotta cool goin' on in this thread Dale!
That link brought up more uber cool videos for me, Kevin. Thank you. :-)
Thank heavens for a little bit of drift sometimes.
If I may. Another notion of peat powered cable plows from 1966 Germany. Mixing peat and the sand below.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZTYc8yDRdo
I sure hope you find that image. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jem Bowkett, Spalding United Kingdom on Tuesday, February 06, 2018 - 02:56 am:

I have the privilege of living in Bomber County which houses 2 Lancs. 'Thumper' is operated by the RAF Battle of Britain Memorial Flight snd we often see her heading to displays. Or more accurately hear her - even if a Lanc is almost over the horizon you can hear those 4 Merlins growl.

The other Lanc "Just Jane' is in taxi-only condition in an excellent museum created from an original WW2 field. It regularly hosts car showws and Just Jane does 2 taxi runs in the day. You can ride along but the ticket is about 300. Standing right in front of her as they run the engines up is amazing.

One day at our old house Thumper did a fly-past at a nearby RAF college. It came over our place so low my wife could count the rivets. She was jumping up and down in the garden waving and got a wing waggle! Not many girls have been wing-waggled by a Lancaster.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Hatch on Tuesday, February 06, 2018 - 03:26 am:

FYI maybe
http://www.sallymitchell.com/products/10533/the-night-awaits-lancaster-bomber-or iginal-aviation-painting

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Hatch on Tuesday, February 06, 2018 - 03:27 am:

another
http://stanbridge.cenz.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/20120909-VH_L5672-003.jp g

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Hatch on Tuesday, February 06, 2018 - 03:32 am:

one more
http://render.fineartamerica.com/images/images-print-search/images-medium-5/plou ghing-the-field-james-crook.jpg

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Hatch on Tuesday, February 06, 2018 - 03:33 am:

Ok one more
http://www.whiterockgallery.com/JPEGs/Walker/heritage-enlarged-Christopher_Walke r.jpg

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George John Drobnock on Tuesday, February 06, 2018 - 09:46 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Rosenkrans on Tuesday, February 06, 2018 - 10:01 am:

Sounds like something William Phillips could have done, but I looked through his catalog and didn't see anything. I have one of his pieces of a B-17 on a snowy field looking over a rock wall and a hay rake with a falcon sitting on it, called "No flying today." The falcon is watching a rabbit hidden in the wall, an allegory of the whole scene.

The Canadian Warplane Heritage has a flyable Lanc. they've brought down to WWII Weekend in Reading a couple time. Stars of this years show are going to be the two flyable B-29's, Fifi and Doc, plus two B-17's, Yankee Lady and Memphis Belle.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By dale w on Tuesday, February 06, 2018 - 08:34 pm:

Jem,
I recently spent a few weeks in Henlow, Bedfordshire near the RAF base there. Heard a lot of engines leaving the base, but none with pistons!
I was hoping to see a Lancaster, Hurricane or Spitfire, but I missed them at a base airshow by a few weeks.
To get a Heavy Bomber wing waggle is too cool for school!

I live along the flight path used by the Michigan Air National Guard flying F-16s and A-10 from Selfridge air base to the combat training facility in Grayling were they provide air support. They pass by here a little too fast for a tip of the wing, but I did get a pair of low flying A-10s to zoom past me on my tractor, then they split off at 90 degrees from each other and came back around after dropping to tree top level.
They were going so fast that they had disappeared behind the trees before their sound hit me!

I was pretty proud that they were so impressed with my razor-straight bush-hogging that they had to come back and take a second look, but my wife and the neighbors have an alternative theory that the campground beach beyond the tree line behind our property, strewn with young ladies in bikinis working on their tans was probably what REALLY caught there attention

I guess we'll never know...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jem Bowkett, Spalding United Kingdom on Wednesday, February 07, 2018 - 02:41 am:

We have free airspace above so we regularly get aerobatic practice above us but Monday morning we get RAF Typhoons practicing dogfighting , chasing each other round the sky. Noise is deafening and, as you point out, if you look toward the sound the plane is well ahead of that point.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Stokes on Wednesday, February 07, 2018 - 04:54 am:

Jem Bowkett - prepare the spare room - I'm coming to live at your place!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Wednesday, February 07, 2018 - 04:56 am:

I've been to some airshows around here in the last several years. Every time I hear one of those piston engines fire up, no matter what aircraft it is, it just makes my hair stand up. That being said, and I'm not trying to belittle those aircraft by any means, I mean how could I, but what really sends shivers down my back is a CH 47 Chinook coming up to flight speed while standing right beside it. I reckon that is the same feeling that those that were involved with all of the WW11 aircraft feel too. If you haven't been there, there is no describing it. To paraphrase a slogan I saw on a T shirt, "I might be deaf and blind, but I can still hear a CH 47 Chinook a mile away". I'm sure those of the "Greatest Generation" feel the same way about their aircraft. Thanks for those paintings guys. Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allen Banks on Wednesday, February 07, 2018 - 06:03 am:

Yesterday 2 Marine Corps Ospreys flew over and I thought at first an aircraft was crashing into our building! Shook everything! Looked out the window and saw those two birds banking hard overhead. Cool!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Wednesday, February 07, 2018 - 07:27 am:

I work very near the airport in Savannah. Periodically, and currently, the Air Force conducts training here and the fighters shake the building. Some of my coworkers complain. My only complaint is I can't go outside and watch. The sound of freedom, gentlemen.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Wednesday, February 07, 2018 - 07:36 am:

Amen Hal!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A Bartsch on Wednesday, February 07, 2018 - 09:24 am:

FWIW,
"Of the 7,377 aircraft built, only 17 remain in complete form today, two of which are airworthy."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_surviving_Avro_Lancasters

jb

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jem Bowkett, Spalding United Kingdom on Wednesday, February 07, 2018 - 10:54 am:

Find the 2015 film Reunion of Giants which tells the story of how the Canadian Lanc was flown to UK in 2014 and took part in numerous airshows alongside Thumper. Last time anyone was going to see 2 flying together. Unless they get Just Jane in the air.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Eckensviller - Thunder Bay, ON on Wednesday, February 07, 2018 - 10:57 am:

Jem, there's also a Lanc being restored to airworthy in Windsor, Ontario so when it's finished I imagine it will spend lots of time around VR-A out of Hamilton. I wouldn't have believed they could pull it off if I hadn't gone and visited the project myself. The same group is also putting together a Mosquito.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By dale w on Wednesday, February 07, 2018 - 11:02 am:

http://warbirdsnews.com/warbird-restorations/lancaster-just-jane-nearing-flight. html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells, Hamilton Ontario on Wednesday, February 07, 2018 - 11:37 am:

I guess I'm lucky. I've been inside a flyable Lancaster here in my city. And it flies low over my house most weekends.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration