World record Centerdoor

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: World record Centerdoor
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Macleod on Monday, February 05, 2018 - 07:37 pm:

Hyman Ltd is advertising a 1921 T Centerdoor. While it looks like a pretty nice car it is priced as a world record holder for a black era car, a whopping $39,500. Let's all hold our collective breath on this one!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Booth@ Bay City, Mi on Tuesday, February 06, 2018 - 05:04 am:

Is there a link to this?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Booth@ Bay City, Mi on Tuesday, February 06, 2018 - 05:33 am:

https://hymanltd.com/vehicles/6028-1921-ford-model-t-center-door-sedan/

found it...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Pawelek Brookshire, Texas on Tuesday, February 06, 2018 - 07:22 am:

The price reflects that It is most probably a "Doctor's Centerdoor"........

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry & Sharon Miller, Westminster, CO on Tuesday, February 06, 2018 - 08:05 am:

From the photos, all of the dimensions appear to be exactly the same as my '20 Centerdoor. Does not appear to be raised in the roof any.

Remember I have owned this car for about a year now and am still a newbie compared to most the the posters on this forum. I have never heard of a "Doctor's Centerdoor". I would like to hear more about them.

Terry

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Tuesday, February 06, 2018 - 08:08 am:

An amazing restoration. Iím thinking that it looks better than any model T that rolled out of the factory.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Elliott on Tuesday, February 06, 2018 - 08:13 am:

Still, 39K is an AWFUL lot of dough for a Centerdoor.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Val Soupios on Tuesday, February 06, 2018 - 08:43 am:

I can't wait to see what it really goes for. Asking is one thing but getting is a whole other thing!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Herb Iffrig on Tuesday, February 06, 2018 - 09:19 am:

I have seen it. It is as nice as the pictures.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Pawelek Brookshire, Texas on Tuesday, February 06, 2018 - 09:54 am:

Terry Miller, There was no Dr's Centerdoor just as there was not a Dr's Coupe. Over the years one finds sales ads where folks list Dr's Coupes thinking it will add to the price so we occassionally joke about the ads. Some folks assume that country Dr's in the Model T era used Coupes for house visits because they did not need anything larger. Ford never advertised or sold a "Dr's Coupe" as far as I know though there was a Dr. Shown in one period ad.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By george house . . .caldwell county, TX on Tuesday, February 06, 2018 - 10:05 am:

Well; itís black on a white-on-white background and the description was written by Herman Melville. In my barn it would be a $18 K centerdoor :o(

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, February 06, 2018 - 10:29 am:

The car is gorgeous and the photography is stunning. But...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Tuesday, February 06, 2018 - 10:35 am:

I'm the current caretaker of a really rare 1919 "Machinist's" Centerdoor - maybe that makes mine even more valuable ! Interesting, indeed !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Elliott on Tuesday, February 06, 2018 - 12:06 pm:

My friend, Jeff Kern, always tell's me he's the proud owner of a 1927 Electrician's two door! We laugh about the term "Doctor's coupe".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By dale w on Tuesday, February 06, 2018 - 12:12 pm:

well, laughter IS the best medicine......

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Jablonski on Tuesday, February 06, 2018 - 12:29 pm:

Wow, a '21 Centerdoor with 1925-1927 21 inch Lester Tires ????????

Why restore without the proper 30X3.5 clinchers ????

Especially for that asking price.

IMHO

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Jablonski on Tuesday, February 06, 2018 - 12:34 pm:

Looking further, "Lincoln" tires, siped tread, looks similar to Lester 21's.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Grady L Puryear on Tuesday, February 06, 2018 - 12:53 pm:

While in College in Georgetown, Texas (Southwestern) I worked at a Sinclair filling station. There were two Sisters who had one of these, they had bought it new. Georgetown was a small town, they could not have lived over 6 or 8 blocks from the station, and as far as I knew, that was the extent of their driving. Ever couple of week ends, they would drive it to town to shop, and would get me, and no one else, to wipe it down and check it over. It looked ever bit as good as this one, or maybe better. I have often wondered who has that car today.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Booth@ Bay City, Mi on Tuesday, February 06, 2018 - 01:07 pm:

Well I have a gyno's centerdoor. It has a real "air" about it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Macleod on Tuesday, February 06, 2018 - 01:29 pm:

And that would be a sunroof Centerdoor?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Macleod on Tuesday, February 06, 2018 - 01:39 pm:

While I have little doubt that it may have cost close to the asking price to get this car restored as it is presented, at half the asking price it would still likely set a world record price as the most expensive 17_27 era Ford sedan ever sold.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Val Soupios on Tuesday, February 06, 2018 - 01:49 pm:

I have an orignal lawyer's Centerdoor. Originally purchased as an ambulence chaser but it never caught one!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry & Sharon Miller, Westminster, CO on Tuesday, February 06, 2018 - 01:49 pm:

Michael,

Thank you for clearing that up for me. You never know when someone is trying to put something over on you. But, with the help of the experience on this forum, it's going to be hard for a scammer.

Thank You,
Terry

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Pawelek Brookshire, Texas on Tuesday, February 06, 2018 - 02:36 pm:

Terry, I should have put a smiley face at the end of my post. I keep forgetting how many new folks we have on the forum.....which is good!!!!! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, February 06, 2018 - 02:38 pm:

Noel Chicoine really does have a doctor's coupe. Ignacio Valdez has a doctor's touring.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Vern (Vieux Carre) on Tuesday, February 06, 2018 - 04:58 pm:

Yet one more reason to NOT get a PHD.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gary hammond-Forest, Va on Tuesday, February 06, 2018 - 05:18 pm:

''For assistance call''.....if I got into a T for that money I would need assistance from a cardiac Dr. LOL

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William Hoffer on Tuesday, February 06, 2018 - 06:18 pm:

Keep in mind that Mark Hyman sells only the best of the best. If you do not see the value in this vehicle, find another one like it. This car is most likely worth the ask or close to it to the customer who has this car on their acquisition list. I look at this as good news, not something to sharp shoot. We are all going to have cars for sale someday.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andrew Beyer on Tuesday, February 06, 2018 - 06:44 pm:

I wonder how well the centerdoor would do if submitted for the Stynoski Award.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker, Ramona, CA on Tuesday, February 06, 2018 - 08:17 pm:

It appears to be a great and costly restoration. I suspect the $39k reflects the cost of the restoration, not what the market will bear.
My father drove for a Doctor in Salford after leaving school, there were two cars a Morris Oxford and a Ford T coupe. It was a Doctors Coupe......

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Blake, Kansas City on Tuesday, February 06, 2018 - 10:55 pm:

Mark Hyman's cars are first class, and I find the writeup's extremely well researched and informative. Note that his cars are almost always listed with prices, asking prices that is, to be precise.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By FreighTer Jim on Wednesday, February 07, 2018 - 12:03 am:

Eric,

Donís Center Door just might be the ď Lost Retractable Hardtop T Prototype ď often rumored to exist but never seen before

FJ

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Macleod on Wednesday, February 07, 2018 - 02:13 pm:

FJ-

No doubt that is the car in question.

From some of the responses I get the sense some think I am sharp-shooting at Hyman Ltd, and to some degree I admit that I am. Part of my problem with this car, and the asking price, stems from some old history. I have no doubt it took every bit of the asking price to restore the car to its present condition. Candidly, that is nowhere close to what it cost to restore my car.

It was mentioned "what would the car be worth if it had won Stynoski?" I actually know the answer to that question, which to Hyman is about 25 cents on the dollar invested. Many of you know my car (a '26 Touring) won in 2006. Shortly afterwards there were several inquiries about the availability of the car. Without a doubt the most insulting came from Hyman. My response of I would need quite a bit more than you are offering was met with a terse comment "your car is not worth what you think it is worth." Needless to say I never responded to them again.

My suspicion is Hyman Ltd. has a world record amount of money invested in this Centerdoor and is looking for at least another 50% return. Stunningly (at least to me), they seem to get it. Conversely, to a point made earlier, is there a better one out there for the price? Maybe someone on the forum knows. For me, I thought this post was an interesting conversation starter but it is not a car I have any interest in owning personally.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Wednesday, February 07, 2018 - 03:36 pm:

The add says this center door wears an older restoration on a good and sound body. So does this mean it has the original wood in the body? I have a 24 Coupe that I inherited from my Grandfather who happened to be a Blacksmith. So I guess I could call it a Blacksmiths Coupe. But I won't.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Wednesday, February 07, 2018 - 05:19 pm:

For that asking price, you would think the "restorer" would have found or made the correct priming rods - both of them !!!

You gotta be shi---g me !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Susanne on Wednesday, February 07, 2018 - 05:30 pm:

Well I have a '15 crew cab 3 door phaeton, with rare AC current powered lighting and 2 transmissions! How about THAT? --ha ha ha--

I've seen the doctor ad, but I've seen a number of ads aimed toward the "Woman In Business"... even had one of them as wallpaper at one time. So instead of "Doctor's Coupe", maybe it should be called a "Cutie Coupe"...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Susanne on Wednesday, February 07, 2018 - 05:31 pm:

Also... what's up with those strange looking hubs on the "Surgeon's Centerdoor"??

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Wednesday, February 07, 2018 - 06:00 pm:

Bob J, other than being on a car that's priced at more than twice what it's worth, is there a problem with Lincoln Highway tires? That's what's on my '21 Touring.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Wednesday, February 07, 2018 - 06:14 pm:

Are you referring to my "accessory hub covers" Susanne - my Centerdoor is the "Machinist's" one !

Lester was a very good brand of tire !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Wednesday, February 07, 2018 - 06:19 pm:

After another look it is a nice car. When they look this nice they are almost undriveable. Who ever buys it had better take a close look at the engine. The no. 1 spark plug wire is laying directly on the head and will get burnt enough to short out the plug. No. 2 plug wire is to short and will barely connect up. I guess they will figure out something is wrong when the car is started and the smell of something burning they will notice it.
I guess it's just an oversite but for that kind of money everything ought to be right. But it does look to be a nice car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham, Blackfoot, Idaho on Wednesday, February 07, 2018 - 07:29 pm:

I'm a little amazed no one has commented on the written description, which doesn't exactly present the car as a meticulous mechanical restoration and a strong runner. What John pointed out may be indicative of the kind of "soundness" trailer queens own - good enough to roll on and off an enclosed trailer a couple of times in a season.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Susanne on Friday, February 09, 2018 - 12:21 pm:

You're right... It's the "Machinist's Deluxe Centerdoor", not the "Surgeon Special". --lol-- Nothing wrong with the Lester tires, but I still miss my old Wards Riversides... (still have one on the side of my car, along with the same era Non-Skid as a "spare", tho they're both harder than the glassy stare of a tax auditor!)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C-west central, MN on Friday, February 09, 2018 - 06:57 pm:

Beautiful automobiles.
I have a Farmer's Centerdoor with the deluxe over-center steering option.
It's a piece of crap.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Thomas Mullin on Saturday, February 10, 2018 - 02:17 pm:

Ok, you Centerdoor guys, how do you change the transmission bands?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Val Soupios on Saturday, February 10, 2018 - 03:23 pm:

With great difficulty!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stauffacher on Saturday, February 10, 2018 - 03:52 pm:

Changing bands is not picnic - just like any T - but once you remove the passenger seat (about 5 minutes) you have better than average access to the transmission...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Barrett in Auburn Ca. on Sunday, February 11, 2018 - 04:42 am:

It's easy to set a world's record asking price. Anyone could do that. Getting that kind of money from model T people for a black era car? Now that would be one for the record books.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration