OT - Playing with "Colorizing" site

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: OT - Playing with "Colorizing" site
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Monday, February 05, 2018 - 09:23 pm:

This is an interesting site. Sometimes the results are very good, and sometimes less so, or not noticeable. The link:

http://demos.algorithmia.com/colorize-photos/

This one, of Henry Ford in 1905, was taken from a magazine photo. I thought it came out well considering the original photo:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Monday, February 05, 2018 - 09:48 pm:

Very interesting, Rob. Although the effect is very poor in terms of detail, it gives a very different (and nice) feel in a view of the past. The effect (and detail) is very similar to many of the colorized post cards of that era. Broad strokes of colorization relying on the original gray-scale for an illusion of color.
The first (early) photo of Henry looks very nice, as does the photo of Henry in the racing car (999/Arrow?). The other two Ford cars (1910 T and model S ?) have too much color out of place (yellow on the T) and areas wholly lacking in color to look remotely correct. However, they also have that look that some original era colorization often had. As such, I do like the look they have.
Thank you for sharing this! Most interesting indeed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Monday, February 05, 2018 - 09:55 pm:

Playing too.....:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Monday, February 05, 2018 - 10:14 pm:

That came out well...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Monday, February 05, 2018 - 10:34 pm:

Another of Walter Wanderwell, adding Mobiloil 'for Fords' to #2 :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Monday, February 05, 2018 - 10:42 pm:

And this scene, somewhere in Africa in 1925, Aloha's sister Meg is driving #2 out of the mud, Aloha is guiding from behind.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James G Fisher III Peachtree City, GA on Tuesday, February 06, 2018 - 09:03 am:

Very cool. I like it

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Tuesday, February 06, 2018 - 09:17 am:

A few more of my favorite subject. The first with C. H. Wills:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Tuesday, February 06, 2018 - 10:02 am:

Rob

Here's one for you :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A Bartsch on Tuesday, February 06, 2018 - 11:00 am:

The colorized pics remind me of the effect of the 'color' tv accessory that was available in the 1950's. That device was simply a piece of rainbow tinted film you put in front of the b&w screen. It 'colorized' regions of the screen, not individual images, but my elderly aunt liked the effect. Many of the the images above appear to me to be randomly colored by regions of the pic rather than the objects/faces in the shot. And there's an abundance of yellow'ish and pink'ish tint in the examples presented. Not a criticism of those posting, I enjoy the subject matter, but the colorization,,,, not so mush. jb

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Tuesday, February 06, 2018 - 11:58 am:

Dan, that's better than one I ran of the same photo. It seems to depend on the effects run on a B&W pic. I've tried tinting a B&W first but that didn't help or change much. Contrast and darkness changes do change the colorization, but it seems hit or miss.

James, yes, it does seem somewhat random. People seem to be colored, when they are large enough Rand prominent enough in a photo. The photo of Henry Ford came out well because he was the only major subject in the pic I think.

The Model K roadsters that are dark are probably red, but I can't get the cars to come out that way.

It would be good if the program would recognize and use base colors if one drew that color on a car/object.

Still, interesting. And, I'm able to see some things I otherwise couldn't on the B&W sometimes, like on the six cyl. racer.

This is as close to red as I've come on a K Roadster:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gilbert V. I. Fitzhugh on Tuesday, February 06, 2018 - 02:48 pm:

Back about 60 years ago, I think Kodak had a product specifically designed for making hand-colored prints from black-and-white photographs. It was called something like Flexichrome. It would absorb colored paints in amounts that varied with the density of the image, and make the result more realistic. I never heard of anyone using it, and don't recall ever seeing images made this way.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Tuesday, February 06, 2018 - 03:02 pm:

Now we're getting somewhere. Found an app called "Color Effects," that will tint or color a specific object. This is a link to the YouTube tutorial:

https://youtu.be/k3OzAA3dx0w

Colorized:

Colorized, then "painted" with Color Effects:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Tuesday, February 06, 2018 - 03:30 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Tuesday, February 06, 2018 - 03:59 pm:

I've got this thing. Even shined the brass..... :-)

(Message edited by Rob on February 06, 2018)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Tuesday, February 06, 2018 - 04:15 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marty Bufalini - Grosse Pointe, MI on Tuesday, February 06, 2018 - 06:00 pm:

Well, this is fun!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Tuesday, February 06, 2018 - 08:08 pm:

How about this old Model T?

It was so muddy it was hard to color.....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Tuesday, February 06, 2018 - 08:12 pm:

Made one quick fix....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Tuesday, February 06, 2018 - 08:46 pm:

Henry Ford with one of his "hated" Model K. I "dressed" this 1906 Model K in a dark blue, hopefully similar to the advertised Royal Blue the 06 was offered in:

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration