Model T era hose clamps

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Model T era hose clamps
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Tuesday, February 06, 2018 - 08:05 am:

Did Ford only use the flat band hose clamps that are currently sold by the vendors? Iíve never really liked them. They seem to distort just at the point where they are tightened enough to stop the hose from leaking. I prefer the function and look of the double wire type.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Rogers - South of the Adirondacks NY on Tuesday, February 06, 2018 - 08:15 am:

Mark- I think the clamps from the vendors don't work properly because the modern hose is way stiffer than the OE stuff from back in the day. I suspect that original hose material was soft and pliable rubber.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob McDaniel Indiana Truck Logansport In on Tuesday, February 06, 2018 - 08:27 am:

I have seen the original hose rubber and it was hard as a rock. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Tuesday, February 06, 2018 - 08:56 am:

Some folks install their hoses initially with modern worm-style clamps. Once the hoses have taken a set and sealed to the tubes, then they remove the modern clamps and install the reproduction clamps to get the correct look. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Garrett on Tuesday, February 06, 2018 - 09:04 am:

It seems the gauge of the metal and/or the metalurgy used for the reproduction flat band clamps available today is not quite as heavy as the originals. I have had the same experience as Mark describes, while I have had some original clamps that seem way more robust and resistant to distortion.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Rogers - South of the Adirondacks NY on Tuesday, February 06, 2018 - 09:06 am:

Bob- you must have a time machine...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Tuesday, February 06, 2018 - 10:31 am:

When I restored my '25 about ten years ago, Snyders claimed they had hose clamps just like Henry made'em. I ordered a set, and they were not! I complained about it, and it turns out they had them for Model A's, but not T's! So, for $20 more I bought the A set. Maybe they have corrected the problem by now.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Tuesday, February 06, 2018 - 10:48 am:

Mark

The repro clamps are made wrong, the narrow interior sliding tab goes outboard, the wrong way, pulls away from the hose as the screw is tightened, so there is way less clamping at the focal point of the clamp screw.

Arrow notes correct place for the narrow sliding tab, under the clamp screw, so that the tab is pushed over firmly on the hose.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A Bartsch on Tuesday, February 06, 2018 - 11:06 am:

And the repo appears to have about half the material in the band and screw compared to the original, which obviously reduces functionality.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham, Blackfoot, Idaho on Tuesday, February 06, 2018 - 11:09 am:

That can be partially corrected by turning the screw around ?More importantly, note the difference in the gauge of metal and the size of the fastener between the repro and the original. The repro is like a movie prop - looks good on film, can't serve the duty. Too much repro stuff is like this.

There's another issue with this type of clamp - they need to be the correct size, within fractions. I found some NOS clamps at a surplus store, thought I'd cut a fat hog, but they were not quite the right size and didn't work on my T.

Re/ Mark's reference to similar clamps made with a double wire, I'd reckon they are "period correct" and I've had good results with them over years.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Tuesday, February 06, 2018 - 03:08 pm:

Very interesting guys. That comparison of a new to vintage clamp is really telling. Looks like I have something to put on my search list for Hershey this year. I also like Mikes description f using a modern clamp and switching out after the hose has been compressed for awhile. For now ... I'm still using some NOS wire type clamps.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob McDaniel Indiana Truck Logansport In on Tuesday, February 06, 2018 - 04:54 pm:

Tim,

I don't have a time machine, that is why the original rubber hoses I have seen were hard as a rock! :-)

I have heard of people putting sealer on the outlet then the hose with a modern clamp and then later replace the clamp with the reproduction type so it looks right and is sealed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Bishop, San Diego on Tuesday, February 06, 2018 - 05:13 pm:

Mark,
Where can you find the double wire clamps?
Thank you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Tuesday, February 06, 2018 - 06:15 pm:

Bob,

Here is an eBay listing of some old clamps including the wire type one others for comparison.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/11-ORIGINAL-OLD-STYLE-WIRE-RADIATOR-HOSE-CLAMPS-1940S-1 950S/162837846191?hash=item25e9e458af:g:7Q0AAOSwExlaUBxX&vxp=mtr

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Tuesday, February 06, 2018 - 07:42 pm:

When fitting the radiator to Henrietta, I used the original clamps on the side tube. I replaced the bolts and square nuts and used Permatex no 2 gasket cement to help them seal. No such luck. I think the problem lay in the replacement hoses being thinner in the wall. They pinched into a little mound between the ears on the clamps. The hoses I had removed were considerably thicker in the wall, and consequently were not likely do the same.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Tuesday, February 06, 2018 - 11:01 pm:

I hope Snyders has corrected the problem. It also upsets me that they claimed that the hose clamps they had were just like Henry made them, when they were not! Ideal made the exact hose clamp until recently. I don't know why they would have dropped a popular part?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Wednesday, February 07, 2018 - 10:48 am:

I've been to quite a few swap meets and don't recall seeing original hose clamps that were NOS are good used originals.
I wasen't really looking for them maybe.
Looks like the NOS clamps will a highly looked for Item at swapmeets now.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Wednesday, February 07, 2018 - 11:02 am:

I wonder if the "show quality" Model A hose clamps would be a closer match:

https://www.brattons.com/show-quality-hose-clamps.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Wednesday, February 07, 2018 - 11:06 am:

While sealer will work, I use grease instead. The other thing is, if the block outlet and inlet are deeply pitted, clean and fill the pits with JB Weld and sand smooth before you paint and install.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Wednesday, February 07, 2018 - 11:19 am:

Snyders does in fact make the correct hose clamps now. I don't know if they have moved them over to the T side of their catalog, but when I ordered mine, I had to order the Model A clamps which were around $30 for a set.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Mikeska, Denver CO on Wednesday, February 07, 2018 - 04:53 pm:

if the Model A Clamps are the same as T clamps these are available from Bert's in the Denver area.

https://parts.modelastore.com/show_Product.asp?ID=3798

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration