NH-ish carburetor? Knock-off or what?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: NH-ish carburetor? Knock-off or what?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter C. Strebeck on Tuesday, February 06, 2018 - 04:07 pm:

Hopefully someone can provide an answer as to what the might be. A standard looking NH carburetor from the one side:
NH1
NH2

But now when I turn it around, I am a little perplexed:
NH3

A standard looking Holley NH swayback with a side drain bowl, T6340 in the casting, no tag and no provision for one and a screw-in vent like those on the earlier straight-through NH design. So, is this just an aftermarket knock-off or something else?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Pawelek Brookshire, Texas on Tuesday, February 06, 2018 - 04:31 pm:

Western Auto Wizard?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Tuesday, February 06, 2018 - 07:31 pm:

The Wizard would be the same as a Simmons which is a straight thru carb. I would say just an aftermarket knock-off.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Adam Doleshal on Wednesday, February 07, 2018 - 09:44 am:

Some aftermarket carbs had a decal on the bowl instead of a tag on the casting. The decals didnít last long if they got gas or oil on them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Wednesday, February 07, 2018 - 10:40 pm:

After looking a bunch of NH's today, I don't know. The vent was in the same place only covered by the label. Everything else but the label area looks just the same.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dean Yoder, Iowa City IA. on Wednesday, February 07, 2018 - 11:34 pm:

Standard early NH. Brass vent no label

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Thursday, February 08, 2018 - 02:16 am:

Thanks Dean, that was sorta in the back of my mind but the lack of label, was not sure.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter C. Strebeck on Thursday, February 08, 2018 - 09:29 am:

So if I am understanding correctly, this was a 2nd generation NH that was manufactured in between the early NH straight through and the "standard" swayback, side drain NH? As much as I have looked, I have seen no reference to this carburetor, that is why I was thinking knock-off. This just seems to be a weird thing to copy (the brass vent screw) and not put any tag or label on it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Thursday, February 08, 2018 - 12:13 pm:

Here's an early Model NH with tag, but mounted below the hole for the brass vent screw. Note the tag has same look with the famous large 'M' and the lower type 'odel'.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter C. Strebeck on Thursday, February 08, 2018 - 01:45 pm:

So, are we saying knock-off, genuine or I don't know? It does seem like a logical evolutionary step between the early NH and the swayback NH. All 3 castings are similar, but different.

Early NH, straight through
straight

The mystery carburetor
mystery

And the "standard" swayback
swayback

Hopefully someone has seen one before or has one floating around and can help with the discussion. I don't know what it is but would like to find out. Oddly enough, this is the only "NH" that I have ever come across that has the original style drain plug that is shown in the manuals.
drainplug

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Monday, February 12, 2018 - 11:36 am:

Gail Rodda's Model T parts Id book show this carb as 1922, from Russ Potter's collection. Does not look to have the label in the photos but does have Ford script on the fuel inlet side at the rear just above the bolt hole on the side. It was used along with the F carb. The parts number looks to be the same. If you look real close at the 2ed photo down you can just see part of the "F".

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration