OT - 'Total shoulder replacement' update

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: OT - 'Total shoulder replacement' update
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marv Konrad (Green Bay Area) on Tuesday, February 06, 2018 - 05:33 pm:

October 9th was the surgery date. Had been told to "expect less pain and a quicker recovery time than the rotator repair." ('That' had been done in 2009. It was not fun...) Unfortunately, my optimistic expectations were countered by the orthopedic surgeon handing down a 'sentence': I was to be away from my normal shop activities for six months!
Anxiety & frustration!!! No 'T' - Maybe coffee - IF I use my other hand!!!!
Over these four months, I have been doing the suggested exercises, going for PT, but felt 'time' was the best overall healer and the main thing needed.
Went to the Doc today for the scheduled X-rays and follow-up. Still have some frontal tenderness (a bruised feeling) and outboard lateral tightness which he said is normal for the first year - mostly due to the total re-construction of the shoulder. Overhead reach is now about 80%, but will continue to get better and stronger. But... "Go ahead and do whatever you feel you can safely handle." So in other words, he commuted my six-months' sentence of avoiding the shop... I have been paroled!

If replacement surgery has been suggested for your world, don't put it off any longer. To be able to sleep again, without waking each hour because of pain and limited movement.... I can tolerate comfortable sleep very nicely, thank you.
And now, excuse me while I go out to the shop and twist some wrenches.

(I'm baaaaaack!) :-)
"Happy T-ing!"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Tuesday, February 06, 2018 - 05:45 pm:

Good for you, Marv! Now that you're back in action, sort of, we'll look forward to your pictures and videos of work on your T and driving experiences.... :-)

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Mills_Cherry Hill NJ on Tuesday, February 06, 2018 - 05:54 pm:

Congrats Marv....good luck to you.

One word of caution perhaps...have a break in/build up to plan on the wrenches kind of like the PT was....

On my kneecap that exploded they did not have enough big pieces for screws or pins so they super glued it like a stitch weld and wire wrapped it with anchors to ligaments.

Hit that 6 month “total release” ready to run, chomping at the bit and took the release on the able to bear too literal! I snapped a wire in week one...and in week two managed to tear a ligament as one of the anchor hooks pulled like a hooked fish! So lost a month there of chair only recuperation to catch back up.

Be careful there...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Tuesday, February 06, 2018 - 06:07 pm:

Glad to hear the good news!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration