My uncle Charlie

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: My uncle Charlie
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Herb Iffrig on Tuesday, February 06, 2018 - 08:12 pm:

This morning I found out that my uncle Charlie Bethmann had passed away.
Charlie was 95 years old.
If you are going to have an uncle, you should have one like Charlie. He was my mom's younger brother by one year.He was a life long farmer, one of nine children of Julia and Theodore Bethmann.
I pretty much think he was the reason for my interest in old machinery. He was one of the original members of the Early Day Gas Engine and Tractor Association around here. I'm talking about in the 1960's.
He had an ability to accumulate a lot of friends and old engines too.
Some of you might remember this story:http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/506218/588027.html?1448119649. I posted it right after I acquired the truck mentioned in the above thread.
After I got the truck in the barn the next time I saw Charlie I told him I had it. He then told me that he was there the day grandpa bought the truck. It was in 1948 and it was bought used from my dad's uncle about a half mile up the road from my house now. That was something I had not known!
Charlie was very informative about the truck, letting me know about the history of it and what to do to it to get it running. But that was the way he was. Even then at 93 years old he had a sense for detail. People would marvel about the stories he could tell. He could remember details from his earliest years and make everything interesting.
He wad a loyal International Harvester man, probably because he had worked for a short time in the local dealership when he was a young man. He was a great influence on a lot of people and a lot of people were better for having known him.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Andreasen on Tuesday, February 06, 2018 - 08:17 pm:

You're very fortunate to have obtained that information. I've known many fascinating men (and women) over the years and managed to get them to open up about their lives......only to have death claim them. It's a sad loss of "how things were", so we need to pay attention to those folks who have so much to share.

Yes, very fortunate indeed. Looking forward to more postings about that truck!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Rogers - South of the Adirondacks NY on Tuesday, February 06, 2018 - 08:17 pm:

Herb- sorry to hear such news. Life long influential folks are the hardest to lose...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Tuesday, February 06, 2018 - 08:49 pm:

Herb, Sorry to hear of your Uncle Charlies passing. This struck home for me as I had an uncle, we called him Mousie due to his short stature, who helped me get into the T hobby when I was but a young man. Mousie encouraged me and was interested in my (almost "our") Model T at all times. He's been gone now since 1995, but I think of him often, especially when I drive past the cemetery where he's buried. Yes, we miss the Model T'ers and car guys in general who helped us in the hobby, who have gone to the big car show or swap meet in the sky. May they rest in peace.

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Lynn-Colorado on Tuesday, February 06, 2018 - 09:23 pm:

Sounds like an interesting character. Thanks for posting. Love the international in the first Photo. Always wanted one like that.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Derocher on Tuesday, February 06, 2018 - 10:01 pm:

Sorry to hear of your uncle, sounds like a great guy.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C-west central, MN on Tuesday, February 06, 2018 - 10:30 pm:

Great history on your gorgeous IH truck Herb!
Your uncle Charlie does sound like a really neat guy. May he rest in peace.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration