-26 - 27 -ID

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: -26 - 27 -ID
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Scott Hawthorne, Nv. on Wednesday, February 07, 2018 - 02:28 pm:

how do you tell the difference in a 26 or 27 coupe if you only have the body? I was told the windshield hinge is different.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff Humble Northern Michigan on Wednesday, February 07, 2018 - 03:44 pm:

Minor changes over the years that I know of include battery floor board, package tray behind seat, inner steel panel above the windshield. Post photos and let others weigh in

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Vern (Vieux Carre) on Wednesday, February 07, 2018 - 06:33 pm:

Headlight bar mid 26 year.
Frame serial number stamp in late 1925 (if you mean engine-less).
The battery access floorboard:
August 1925 to March 1926 - 17-1/2 inches long. Part number 57319A
March 1926 to June 1926 - 37-3/4 inches long. Part number 57319B
June 1926 - August 1927 - 22-13/16 inches long. Part number 57319C

Welcome to the forum James.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A Bartsch on Wednesday, February 07, 2018 - 07:11 pm:

James: I believe windshield and hinges are same for 26-27 coupes. The amount of wood inside the body may be a partial clue, although there is variation. Later bodies had steel around side and rear window of the coupe, it's not clear to me when this happened as some earlier '26's seem to have all steel, while some mid year have some wood. The later package tray behind the seat became all steel in the later '26-'27 models, I don't know when. If your body has the spare tire carrier it might help, McCalley (pg 408) states "Black wire wheels became standard equipment in some areas about Feb 1927 on the coupe." If your spare tire carrier is for wire wheels, it might be Feb '27 or later.

there also might be some clues is how the rear body cross-member connects to the frame rails. There were two designs, and I believe the later ones were more simple almost a 45 degree mitre at the corners, earlier in '26 there was a more elaborate corner connection. I don't have pics of the examples, there's a'26-'27 coupe expert who posts here frequently, Don Booth, if you google his earlier posts he has posted many excellent body detail in pics of a number of coupes he has restored over the past several years. Welcome to the coupe world!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A. Golden on Wednesday, February 07, 2018 - 07:28 pm:

Is the 1927 Front Axle different?

I have been told it had a dip in the middle area.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed Baudoux Grayling Michigan on Wednesday, February 07, 2018 - 08:21 pm:

The 26-7 firewall is much wider than the previous years.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed Baudoux Grayling Michigan on Wednesday, February 07, 2018 - 08:24 pm:

Also the fuel tank on the Coupe, Roadster, Tudor and Touring is under the cowl, and filled through the cowl vent lid. The only 26-7 Fords that retained the oval tank under the seat are the Fordor, and the TT truck.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed Baudoux Grayling Michigan on Wednesday, February 07, 2018 - 08:25 pm:

:-) Sorry. I mis-read the question. I'll go to bed now...................................

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pat Clark-Deer Lodge, Tn on Wednesday, February 07, 2018 - 08:33 pm:

The way the dash mounts in. I have both, one the mounts are on the "A" pillars, and the other on the cowl.

There is two different header plates. One is open back, and the other is full boxed.

The boxed header came with the dash mounts to the "A" pillar.

Pat

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Scott Hawthorne, Nv. on Saturday, February 10, 2018 - 02:58 pm:

Early 26. the battery box is 17.5 by 15.5
Thanks Vern.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Sunday, February 11, 2018 - 12:23 am:

All 26-27's had the slight dip in the center of the front axle, I believe.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration