Identification of parts.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Identification of parts.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Wednesday, February 07, 2018 - 08:00 pm:

Are these model T window cranks? What is the large wing nut looking thing? Wing nut has the same square hole as cranks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Gresh on Wednesday, February 07, 2018 - 08:31 pm:

Dallas,
The top three are window cranks.I have seen this style used on 1923-25 sedans.
May have been used on coupes as well.
The fourth one looks like a window crank as well used on the front window of sedans and sometimes the rear roll down window of coupes, not T but possibly Buick.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Wednesday, February 07, 2018 - 08:37 pm:

Thanks Larry. I saved them from being thrown in the trash from a house clean up. I did not find them, they found me. A friend brought them to me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Wednesday, February 07, 2018 - 08:39 pm:

Dallas, those three cranks do look a lot like the ones for a '24 closed car, sedan and coupe. I believe they are for the wood framed doors. The steel framed doors use one similar (maybe the same?) to Model A window cranks. All of this info is from what I've read on here, may or may not be accurate. :-) Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Gresh on Wednesday, February 07, 2018 - 08:49 pm:

Dallas,
I have a customer in Michigan who needs one or two of those window cranks if You decide to sell them.
Let me know and I will put You in touch with Him.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Wednesday, February 07, 2018 - 08:49 pm:

Dave my 24 coupe has repro cranks. I looked today and they are almost twice as long as the ones in this post. Im not sure if they are T or not. You and I had some discussion on this. Your 25 is not the same as 24?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Wednesday, February 07, 2018 - 08:53 pm:

Ok Larry. I will let you know. My 24 coupe may need them. I need to take a closer look.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Gresh on Wednesday, February 07, 2018 - 08:57 pm:

They are the same window crank I had in my original t Tudor. I also have an original 24 Tudor in the shop I'm doing a frame off restoration on for some folks in New York and it also has these window cranks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Wednesday, February 07, 2018 - 09:22 pm:

Larry, the rear windows in my 24 coupe were disassembled when I got it. Havnt had time to do much with it before winter. In my photo, there are two longer cranks and one short. Is the short one for rear side windows? The owner sent some cranks and parts he found after I got the coupe home. I will look and see what I have and maybe I have enough. If I do I will let you know. Thanks for the info.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By RICHARD GRZEGOROWICZ on Wednesday, February 07, 2018 - 10:23 pm:

Dallas, I would like to buy the model t radiator cap, would you think of parting with it? greg

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Sims--Reed City,Mich. on Thursday, February 08, 2018 - 11:09 am:

Dallas, using my failing memory The Model A handles have a deep recess about 3/8 inch across that takes a round screw that is inserted into this recess to retain the handle, The T handles has a shallow recess about 1/2 across to take a large shallow head screw for the same purpose. Some cars in the 30's had windshields that opened using a T shaped handle similar to the one shown. I could be wrong and probably am.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Sims--Reed City,Mich. on Thursday, February 08, 2018 - 11:23 am:

Just checked and the A handles do not have a screw to hold on . just the door opening handle. The T handle style was also used on the A coupe with roll down rear window and roll down sedan quarter windows

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Thursday, February 08, 2018 - 05:28 pm:

Richard G.
If you need the cap, send me your address. I will see what shipping cost is and it is yours.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Thursday, February 08, 2018 - 05:30 pm:

Thanks Jim. Hope your surviving winter well. It will be driving season soon.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Thursday, February 08, 2018 - 07:05 pm:

I couldnt take it Jim. This is what came on 24 coupe when it found me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Thursday, February 08, 2018 - 07:08 pm:

The lower crank came in the trunk with other parts. The top crank is one posted at top of this thread.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Thursday, February 08, 2018 - 07:10 pm:

The one mounted on the door has a set screw on the side. I am guessing repro for model A?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Thursday, February 08, 2018 - 07:52 pm:

The bottom crank in both photos are the correct, original handles - they take a "special" large head screw.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Thursday, February 08, 2018 - 08:36 pm:

Ok Steve. Thats why there is a broken screw in the bag with the bottom crank with the large hole in the bottom. The square hole is larger than the top crank also.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Thursday, February 08, 2018 - 09:56 pm:

Somewhere around here I have several nice window cranks - correct for my wife's old '25 Coupe and our '25 Tudor - never could find the correct large head screws - Bob Sherzer (sp) had produced some a while back but no spares could be had.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Dodd on Thursday, February 08, 2018 - 11:40 pm:

The window cranks also look similar to 24-25-26 Buick window cranks. I just don't have a Buick window crank to compare it to.

Bill

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C-west central, MN on Friday, February 09, 2018 - 12:05 am:

I saw that tee handled/two legged gizmo/twister and I pondered IF it looked familiar. I bundled up and went out looking. :-)
Needed some surgical gloves from the little T shop anyway and took care of the cat's box while dressed up for cool outside... 7 above and beautiful!
From 3 great cats and 2 wonderful friends (dogs), the last cat Roxy, the mouse killing machine sure can fill her box... Russian and hard to talk to.

crank

crank

crank

This looks similar doesn't it?
It's from a window riser here.
I'm told it's from a 28 Chevrolet.
I could be way wrong, it's been hanging around here (with the other '28 Chevy parts) for 15 years or better.
What a dope. I thought it wasn't cool enough to put inside... Then.
:-)
P.S. I like the escutcheon plate behind the twister!
Hey Greg, what T are you putting that cap on? :-)

(Message edited by duey_c on February 09, 2018)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Friday, February 09, 2018 - 12:22 am:

Dallas, the rear windows on the '24-'25 coupes use a slide thingie to raise and lower them. It is a rod with an "ear" that will twist and engage slots in the frame to hold it in position. I can take some pictures of mine if you like. You also might try googling them at MTFCA. I'm pretty sure these have been discussed before. Dave Sosnoski is our resident '25 coupe guy, but I haven't seen him post on here for quite awhile. He helped me out a lot when we first got ours. Hope all is well with him. Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Friday, February 09, 2018 - 12:31 am:

On our coupe, the window risers have been replaced with '26-'27 or Model A risers, I think they are the same as each other, or at least similar. They work on the steel frame doors, kind of. They mount differently and won't let the windows go all of the way down. The '24 risers have a hole drilled and tapped in the end of the shaft for the crank that the retaining screws fit into. Dave

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration