Ruckstell Work Stand

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Ruckstell Work Stand
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Young in Mays Landing, NJ on Wednesday, February 07, 2018 - 10:12 pm:

I finally decided that it was time to tear into the Ruckstell that I removed from my '26 four years ago, but I didn't want to do another rear without having a proper work station to do it on. This one came out of the car only because it is a 3:1 and I really didn't enjoy the necessity of always having to start out in Rux Low. I'm doing the Pittsburgh Tour this summer and plan on having this rear back in the car in standard Ruckstell configuration for those Pa hills.

I toyed around with various methods of holding the rear axle while I drank my coffee this morning and came up with an idea to make a few attachments to bolt to the engine stand that I already had. An hour or so after work and this is what I made, and it worked out well:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Wednesday, February 07, 2018 - 10:17 pm:

Nice stand but what are the broken bits?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Young in Mays Landing, NJ on Wednesday, February 07, 2018 - 10:21 pm:

The last picture shows 4 pieces of metal that were laying in the pumpkin. The inside of this rear looks beautiful and has bronze thrusts. The oil even looks nice. The ring and pinion are perfect. I haven't split the case yet, but I'm sure the origin of these metal chunks will be apparent at that time. The rear worked fine for the few thousand miles that I drove it before sidelining it. Any ideas?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Young in Mays Landing, NJ on Wednesday, February 07, 2018 - 10:29 pm:

Same stand 5 years ago...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Mullins Spokane Wa. on Thursday, February 08, 2018 - 12:44 am:

Pinion bearing race

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C-west central, MN on Thursday, February 08, 2018 - 01:05 am:

Looks like a true universal stand you've built.
I like!
Interested in the broken bits too. There's a similar axle in my collection.
:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Young in Mays Landing, NJ on Thursday, February 08, 2018 - 06:51 am:

Pinion bearing race would suit me just fine. The ID of the pieces do seem to be of that size. I'm going to put the Fun Projects kit in there anyway. Should I expect to see a chewed up drive shaft?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Garrett on Thursday, February 08, 2018 - 08:47 am:

Broken pieces look like something went south with the internals of the shifter mechanism. Just a guess.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Young in Mays Landing, NJ on Thursday, February 08, 2018 - 11:18 am:

I took a quick look at the driveshaft this morning, and sure enough, the end of the pinion race was shattered apart where it contacts the gear key. The race is loose on the shaft.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kohnke Rebabbitting, Clare, Iowa on Thursday, February 08, 2018 - 12:36 pm:

Dave, I think your Horse could get out!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Young in Mays Landing, NJ on Thursday, February 08, 2018 - 03:09 pm:

Always at the ready!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration