Mountain Curve - A Painting

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Mountain Curve - A Painting
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Thursday, February 08, 2018 - 06:34 pm:

When I got my first Model T the neighbor lady told me vivid stories about riding on narrow mountain roads. Her eyes got big when she described coming inches from the shear cliffs and the bottomless canyons below. My Daughter tells the same stories nowadays. Having the steering wheel in hand I didn't have the same fear and I'm sure we always had a little more room than the stories have. Both ladies conveyed the adventure more than the fear. In that spirit I painted this version.

Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Thursday, February 08, 2018 - 06:44 pm:

Great painting!

I think I would have steered to the RH side of that rock. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walt Berdan, Bellevue, WA on Thursday, February 08, 2018 - 06:59 pm:

A little more tread on the left front might have been nice too but what the heck, it held air!

Good stuff here, Thanks Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Thursday, February 08, 2018 - 07:21 pm:

Great picture! Wish I had HALF that talent!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Thursday, February 08, 2018 - 07:28 pm:

That is the road to my buddys house at the top of the haller in Kentucky. I thought my better half was going to pass out. Not really that bad,I could still see the bottom.
Just wonderful Richard.
Thanks for sharing your talent. Put that on the list for my calender next year.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham, Blackfoot, Idaho on Thursday, February 08, 2018 - 07:37 pm:

Masterful, Rich !! A great painting on many levels - no pun intended.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Fischer - Arroyo Grande, CA on Thursday, February 08, 2018 - 07:55 pm:

I can identify with the kid in the back seat. Just looking at the picture makes that funny feeling in the pit of my stomach. Some pictures are said to tug at the heart strings. Your picture tugs at my stomach strings, Rich.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Thursday, February 08, 2018 - 08:12 pm:

Rich, VERY nice picture. I cannot get over your talent.

Best wishes,
Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Thursday, February 08, 2018 - 08:25 pm:

My grandparents told of a trip into "Angles Camp" in California. This would have been in the mid 20s. Grandpa said there was a stretch of the mountain road that had a cable attached to the side of the mountain. On that cable were short chains or cables. They were designed to hook to the front and rear of the car and keep you from falling off the mountain. He said every time you came to a cable attaching lug in the side of the mountain you had to get out and switch to another chain on the other side of the attaching lug. He said that sometimes there was no chains for you to use so you had to walk down/or up to the next lug to retrieve the chain used by the previous car. He said the rear chains were no problem as grandma would not ride in the car and walked along behind the car and carried my 2 month old Mom. So she handled that end. But she would not go around the car as there was "not enough road for her and the car". That is a direct quote from my grandma. Grandma also walked across every bridge from Oklahoma to California as she did not trust bridges. And we think we have it tough... Thanks for the picture, it really brings to life what grandpa and grandma went thru.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Derocher on Thursday, February 08, 2018 - 08:35 pm:

Great job Rich!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Derocher on Thursday, February 08, 2018 - 08:35 pm:

Great job Rich!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C-west central, MN on Thursday, February 08, 2018 - 08:57 pm:

I'm with Dick Fischer. Ish.
Do I count 5 rocks FALLING? Oh ish. More fodder for the imagination in my dreams. Brrr.
I'm happiest down low with lake water coming up to both sides of the road. :-)
Fantastic image you've created Rich! Wow!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Thursday, February 08, 2018 - 09:37 pm:

Fantastic painting Rich. I hope there is no play in the steering on that T. LOL.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Thursday, February 08, 2018 - 09:38 pm:

It reminds me of the road to Hana on Maui. Only that road drops off into the ocean.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joe Kowalczyk - Nampa Idaho on Thursday, February 08, 2018 - 09:53 pm:

Beautiful painting Rich, your talent is beyond words.

Thanks for sharing....

Joe

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Thursday, February 08, 2018 - 09:53 pm:

Talented fellow there, Rich !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pat Kelly Montana on Thursday, February 08, 2018 - 10:11 pm:

Great painting Richard!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey, Hayward Ca. on Thursday, February 08, 2018 - 10:34 pm:

Great painting Richard.
I tried to show it to my wife, she couldn’t look.
Her mother went off a road like that in Peru and everyone on the bus was killed.
The small bus is still down there.
It happened around fortyfive years ago.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dean Kiefer - Adams, MN on Thursday, February 08, 2018 - 10:42 pm:

There should be a lot of good Model T parts at the bottom of that cliff. Good job Rich !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Vern (Vieux Carre) on Thursday, February 08, 2018 - 11:11 pm:

Wonderful image.
I saw Halley's comet in '86 from Fan Mountain observatory in VA. On the mountain road a Kaiser was still on the side of the cliff were it was stopped by a tree as it went down. At that time the property owner and the driver were still fighting over ownership of the car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By danny castle on Thursday, February 08, 2018 - 11:15 pm:

Very Cool Rich..... I live in Silverton Colorado and Trail ride My 25 roadster all over the place up here...and Mister you pretty much painted a very accurate picture of what it looks like...sorry to say this at the fear of being rude but.. if ever you decide to part with it ..Im your Guy!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Lovejoy, So Cal on Friday, February 09, 2018 - 12:46 am:

wonderful Rich !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Matt the Headlight Lens Guy n California on Friday, February 09, 2018 - 12:49 am:

Awesome! I love it Rich!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Friday, February 09, 2018 - 02:31 am:

Like!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Denny Seth - Jefferson, Ohio on Friday, February 09, 2018 - 06:28 am:

Fantastic painting.

You did an excellent job staying between the lines and matching the numbers. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Friday, February 09, 2018 - 07:28 am:

Another great one, Rich, but aren't they all? You have us spoiled.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Friday, February 09, 2018 - 08:36 am:

Great painting. Looks like the roads we drive on here

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Doris, AZ on Friday, February 09, 2018 - 12:11 pm:

Wonderfully detailed painting. The attention to detail on the touring car and its occupants as well as the scenery is really something.
Thanks for sharing,

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Fischer - Arroyo Grande, CA on Friday, February 09, 2018 - 11:20 pm:

Bob, I'll have to take your word about the detailing. All I can see is the precipice. To me the most impressive aspect of the painting is the visceral response it evokes (in me as well as apparently others).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Saturday, February 10, 2018 - 04:46 am:

Excellent!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter B. Ratledge on Saturday, February 10, 2018 - 07:09 am:

That is a beautiful painting, Richard. I love Mountain scenes !! Thanks for sharing it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Saturday, February 10, 2018 - 07:55 am:

It's nice to hear all those comments. That theme has interested me for some time. I did this Model A a few years ago. The owner's wife says he never drives that close to the edge. They wanted to buy the painting but I couldn't part with it so I painted a second one for them. Driving in the mountains is one of my favorite things. We have some great ones nearby.
Thanks
Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tex Holtby on Saturday, February 10, 2018 - 08:44 am:

Rich, I love looking at your paintings! Your talent amazes me, thanks for sharing it with the group. You need to assemble all of your paintings/drawings and put them into a coffee table book. I would be first in line to purchase one or two or three!!! Tex

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Saturday, February 10, 2018 - 09:20 am:

These pictures take me back to my childhood. It was always in a Plymouth or a Studebaker, but Grandma and my aunt Mary did not take well to narrow mountain roads. It was especially exciting when you would meet a logging truck.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed Fuller on Saturday, February 10, 2018 - 09:43 am:

Great job on the painting!

How's progress on your '14? I have been missing your updates.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Saturday, February 10, 2018 - 09:59 am:

Tex, the coffee table book is a neat idea. I'll give it some thought. There are about 3 dozen of my paintings hidden here on the forum.
Ed, the '14 is sitting in the garage waiting for some warmer weather and a top. The bows are in place. We've had some warm weather for a few weeks. I know if I get out to work on the T we will get snow and colder weather. [8o)
Thanks
Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Saturday, February 10, 2018 - 10:24 am:

Here's a picture taken on a tour of the Old "Ridge Route" highway, the first highway over the Tehachapi mountains between Los Angeles and Bakersfield. This highway has been bypassed by I-5.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Saturday, February 10, 2018 - 11:24 am:

I like that one Norman. Someone will know the name of this one on the left. It was on the 1990 Glidden in Colorado Springs. The other is coming down Pikes Peak.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marty Bufalini - Grosse Pointe, MI on Saturday, February 10, 2018 - 04:35 pm:

Richard, that's a great painting. I hate talented people. You now know where you stand with me!!!:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Macleod on Saturday, February 10, 2018 - 04:40 pm:

Amazing painting. Will you be making and selling any prints of it?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Sunday, February 11, 2018 - 10:02 am:

Making quality prints like the covers of the Vintage Ford is expensive for limited runs. We have done calendars when there are enough paintings for 12 months. Poor paper, wrong dates and missing delivery to one kind gentleman have made me question if that is a good thing to do. Painting the pictures and sharing them here and a couple of other places is enjoyable for me.
Thanks again.
Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker, Ramona, CA on Sunday, February 11, 2018 - 09:50 pm:

I seem to remember that road on a National Tour out of Pueblo about 20 years ago. My wife hated barrow bridges and on occasion would get out of the T and walk over before I drove. She was very unhappy about the road falling away on both sides.
Maybe someone can remember more about the saddle ridge road.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Holman on Tuesday, February 13, 2018 - 01:08 pm:

The first picture reminds me of Black Bear Pass in Colorado...but not enough incline and rock ledges. Glidden tour picture on left is Skyline Dr. above Canyon City,Co.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration