OT - Train Wreck and A Brass Touring

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: OT - Train Wreck and A Brass Touring
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Matthew Weaver - Arthurdale, WV on Friday, February 09, 2018 - 10:47 am:

Here's a picture someone posted of a train wreck in 1914 along the B&O railroad near my hometown of Tunnelton, WV. Nice looking touring down below. My Grandfather's brother is in the picture. - Matt

(Message edited by mvweaver on February 09, 2018)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Matthew Weaver - Arthurdale, WV on Friday, February 09, 2018 - 10:51 am:

Not sure, it wouldn't let me change the title. Obviously not a brass touring. This also was one of the steam engines running on the old West Virginia Northern railroad line which has since been abandoned and tracks removed. Happened along what is Camp Ground Rd. Accident wasn't on the mainline.- Matt

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C-west central, MN on Sunday, February 18, 2018 - 02:06 am:

Matt, I've been studying this very interesting photo daily since you posted it, trying to pick the pieces apart.
Here's what I see and surely could be all wrong. :-) You didn't ask but I can't help it. :-)
Starting with the cow-catcher, the smoke box door, the barrel of the boiler and perhaps a steam dome.
The engine's drivers and lead/trailing trucks (IF it has trailing trucks) are covered by the baggage/RPO car (the big door where two people are standing/squatting in) that WAS behind the tender before the crash.
The engine's cab has rolled and we see the left side of the cab and its dirty windows. IF I see it correctly.
5 kids 3 stand/2 sit on the right side of the tender.
I suppose the boiler didn't explode since the water migrated around the firebox but what about the forward tubes left high and dry?
Did they blow? Did it go PFFFFT! or FOOM! ?
I count approximately 81 people.
The camera wasn't good to that photo.
Where's your great uncle?
Interesting photo. Thank you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry & Sharon Miller, Westminster, CO on Sunday, February 18, 2018 - 08:53 am:

Duey,

If the locomotive rolled, as you think it might have, the relief valves may or may not have been knocked off of the steam dome area. If they were gone, the pressure would have bled down very quickly. If the valves were still in tact, they would have relieved on high pressure.

I can't tell if the cab is more right side up, having been torn off the loco, or up side down, still being attached (at least a little) to the loco, with the bottom (floor) just under where the 3 men and a kid are standing. I'm not sure if we will ever know.

Cheers,
Terry

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration