Ruckstell bronze bearing carrier oil hole question

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Ruckstell bronze bearing carrier oil hole question
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Friday, February 09, 2018 - 11:10 am:

The bronze bearing carrier (sorry do not have part number in front of me). The one on the left, should I add some more lube holes? It has had a few added. The bell also has the lube holes in a different place too. They are a little closer to the center. I am thinking this one was early and meant to be packed with grease. The one on the right, the bearing spun and there are metal particles embedded in the bronze from when the insides exploded at some point.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Friday, February 09, 2018 - 11:17 am:

I have heard heresay (can't remember from where) that the windowed version turned out to be too weak.

On my Ruckstell build, I chose to drill a hole near the end of every slot to match the ones that were already there on some of the slots. I ran this by Stan Howe and he approved.

Maybe Stan Howe or Glen Chaffin will see this and comment. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Friday, February 09, 2018 - 12:38 pm:

Thanks Mark. Will wait and see if Stan or Glen adds anything. If not I might add more holes and enlarge the ones there by a little bit. I want the lube to do more then lube the ring and pinion. :-) or pack with grease!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan McEachern on Friday, February 09, 2018 - 02:27 pm:

Packing the center section with grease is a really bad idea. I've never seen one of the slotted ones broken. My guess is the slotted ones are later production to promote better lubrication, but that is a guess on my part.
Glen?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Saturday, February 10, 2018 - 09:49 am:

When pressing a new bearing on that plate, be sure to support the inner part so it won't cave in.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration