More questions about rear gear sets

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: More questions about rear gear sets
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Young in Mays Landing, NJ on Friday, February 09, 2018 - 07:59 pm:

Here's another one... Does a Ruckstell use a different ring gear than a stock rear would use. I took a 39 tooth off of my Ruckstell and the back of it is drastically different than the 40 tooth that I have on the shelf.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker, Ramona, CA on Friday, February 09, 2018 - 08:12 pm:

Thatís because the 39 tooth ring gear is used with a 13 tooth pinion year and the mating requires the ring gear to be moved quite a distance.
The Ruckstell will work with either the 11:40 and the 13:39 with very little effort. Any other combinations will take some adjustments and lots of shims. One ration that is quite popular is the 12:39 which I have done several times for customers but it needs several of the shims from Chaffins Garage.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Young in Mays Landing, NJ on Friday, February 09, 2018 - 09:16 pm:

Ok. So, the 40 tooth ring gear that Ford put in the cars when new is the same ring gear that would go into a Ruckstell? There is no such thing as a " Ruckstell gear set", correct?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Friday, February 09, 2018 - 10:39 pm:

No - there is a matched & marked Ruckstell ring & pinion set - I have a set in the shop.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Friday, February 09, 2018 - 10:41 pm:

And yes, a standard Ford gear set can be used in a Ruckstell - if that's what you are asking.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Saturday, February 10, 2018 - 01:10 am:

Tony, I am averse to using any shims when building a rear axle. While a shim between a ring gear and the carrier is encouraged by the availability of same, they really are thin spacers, which introduce multiple faces between the gear and the carrier.

When I built my Ruckstell for my roadster, with 12 tooth pinion and 39 tooth ring gear, I did not use any shims. I do use bronze thrust washers machined to different thicknesses, and an assortment steel washers to set the gear mesh. I wish I had noted details of the installation.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Saturday, February 10, 2018 - 03:37 am:

The gear sets for the two speed Ruckstell rear end and the standard one speed Ford rear end are completely and totally interchangeable, as sets. As individual gears, the inset (offset?) 36, or 37, or 39, or 40 tooth ring gears must be used with the larger 12 or 13 tooth pinion gears. To some extent, the make of gears MAY be interchangeable, but also may NOT be. Ruckstell rings should be used with Ruckstell pinions, but may be used in either two speed Ruckstell axles, or standard Ford one speed rear ends.
The cut on the Ruckstell gears is supposed to be very close to the Ford cut, and Chaffin's replacement gears should work with either.
The non-inset 40 tooth rings need to be used with either the standard 11 tooth pinion, or the lower speed 10 tooth pinion. Some minor fitting may be needed. There also was an even lower speed 9 tooth pinion that also is meant to run against the standard 40 tooth ring. Some fitting may be needed.

After all that? There were also after-market gears made for Fords by other companies, that ratios may or may not be the same. But fit may be totally different. A few of those were even helical cut teeth. If you stumble onto one of those? No mixing or matching should be attempted. If you find a complete good set? It might be interesting to use. But who could see it? It might just be more interesting hanging on the shop wall where you could show it off!
I have seen a 42 tooth after-market ring gear, but the fellow that had it did not have the matching pinion. No idea what happened to it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Young in Mays Landing, NJ on Saturday, February 10, 2018 - 07:57 am:

Well, all I'm looking to do is change my Ruckstell from 13/39 to 11/40.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration