Need Someone who Speaks Slovak

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Need Someone who Speaks Slovak
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Watson -Florence,Colorado on Saturday, February 10, 2018 - 01:14 pm:

I want some Parts,however,they are in Slovakia
I need someone who speaks Slovak to contact the seller in an ad for us

-Don Watson (719)784-1915

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Brown on Saturday, February 10, 2018 - 01:35 pm:

Could you use Google translate?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank Seress, Prescott Az. on Saturday, February 10, 2018 - 02:31 pm:

Don, I have a friend who speaks the language. Call me if you want me to put you in touch with him. Frank 818-254-6797

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.V. Anderson on Saturday, February 10, 2018 - 07:26 pm:

If for some reason Frank's friend can't get involved, I have a cousin who could help. He just earned a PhD in Slavik languages.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steven Meixner on Saturday, February 10, 2018 - 08:18 pm:

All I was ever learned was how to swear.That probably won't help get the parts.Steve

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By dale w on Saturday, February 10, 2018 - 08:57 pm:

Melania Trump might need a new gig soon....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Sunday, February 11, 2018 - 12:20 am:

Dale, "Ya Thunk"?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Noonan - Norton, MA. on Sunday, February 11, 2018 - 12:42 am:

Melania speaks 5 languages..that's 4 1/2 more than you could probably speak and comprehend. Keep your ignorance and Politics to yourself. Thanks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By dale w on Sunday, February 11, 2018 - 10:39 am:

John,

But 5 is only 1 more than 4!

1) English
2) Polish
3) Hungarian/Romanian
4) Yiddish (Galician/Germanic dialect)

The last 3 are all Balto/Slavic in origin and loosely compatible with Slovak.

If they yelled into the telephone slowly, loudly, and enunciated every syllable separately and distinctly, I might be able to understand them. Just don't be disappointed if you end up receiving a crate of soggy lokse!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gilbert V. I. Fitzhugh on Sunday, February 11, 2018 - 11:07 am:

What is Hungarian/Romanian? Romanian is a Latin-based language like French and Spanish. Hungarian is distantly related to Finnish and Estonian, and not to much else. How do you blend those two? I would have thought they were as different from each other as Basque and Hawaiian.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By dale w on Sunday, February 11, 2018 - 11:12 am:

Gypsies (or "Roma" a term no self respecting gypsy uses..) blend them both. A linguistic artifact of a mobile lifestyle.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gilbert V. I. Fitzhugh on Sunday, February 11, 2018 - 11:23 am:

Thank you! I just learned something new, so already it's been a good day!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank Seress, Prescott Az. on Sunday, February 11, 2018 - 11:33 am:

Don't you dare call Hungarians gypsies. I am an American/Hungarian and proud of both but calling me a gypsie or "Cigany" is the biggest insult to Hungarians that you can imagine. Don Watson wants to buy a part for a car in Slovania but needed translation for the language and I helped him with that and maybe others as well. This thread has gone from stupid politics to insults that need to stop. Go out and fiddle with your model T's and enjoy this sunday and not get off on degrading tangents that this thread was not designed for.
Frank

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bruce Balough on Sunday, February 11, 2018 - 11:49 am:

Just remember, It was Three men that came over from Hungary that designed the Model T !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Copeland - West Melbourne Florida on Sunday, February 11, 2018 - 12:47 pm:

Spring is coming soon guys, Be patient

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By dale w on Sunday, February 11, 2018 - 12:52 pm:

Frank,
No disrespect to you and yours!
Not all Hungarians were Gypsies. I dont know the breakdown, but I'm guessing it is a pretty small percentage of the overall population. To infer that every person hailing from that area is would (I guess?) be an insult to those who werent. My mother's family were what would be considered classical, caravan-based, migratory gypsies until they immigrated here and settled in Michigan in the last decade of the 19th century. It is with no small pride that we refer to ourselves as such.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Sunday, February 11, 2018 - 04:58 pm:

I know that it is wired into our genetics. I may know that? But it is difficult for me to really understand the offending comments (either taken or given) because I have always been fascinated by other people'd cultures and ancestries. All of our individual histories have been shaped for thousands of years by other people's histories. So I feel we should all be interested in all those other cultures and histories as well as our own.

All that aside. While I do like a lot of our thread drifts, and I very much enjoy most of our OT threads (and drifts)? And as I said on a recent thread, I do believe those are a big reason why this forum is one of the best places on the internet. On SOME threads, it IS inappropriate to wander off much, and very inappropriate to get insulting to anyone in any way.
This thread began as a true OT, as a serious request for some very specialized help, and in a hobby-related pursuit. And (other than maybe a few lighthearted bumps to keep it visible), it should remain on its target.
As I said on the other thread. Where else on the web can one ask for such widespread and sometimes obscure help? And actually expect a good answer?
We, all of us on here regularly, are an amazing bunch of people.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Royster on Sunday, February 11, 2018 - 05:40 pm:

I can hook you up with Czech or Ukraine.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration