Hub Bolts

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Hub Bolts
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wilson, Saint John NB, Canada on Saturday, February 10, 2018 - 03:01 pm:

I am getting ready to install rebuilt/refinished wheels on my 27. What's the best way to "upset/peen" the hub bolts? Also what length of bolt should be left above the nut before it is peened?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Saturday, February 10, 2018 - 03:18 pm:

About one full thread should be about where they would be, a little more will not hurt. I use a ball peen hammer. The goal is to just upset the end around the edge to lock the nut on and prevent it from backing off. I do not suggest locktite, in the future you may have to tighten them up some. Make sure everything is correct before peening, once they are peened, chances of removing and saving the nuts and bolts are slim without damage.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Saturday, February 10, 2018 - 03:53 pm:

I leave about a sixteenth of an inch and stake them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wilson, Saint John NB, Canada on Saturday, February 10, 2018 - 09:34 pm:

Great info. Thanks guys!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Saturday, February 10, 2018 - 09:40 pm:

I have seen it recommended to spot weld them too. DON'T do that! Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Saturday, February 10, 2018 - 09:51 pm:

Steve, If I ever have to remove and reinstall any hub bolts I will stake them three or four times like you showed. Before, I punched them once in the middle and then pounded them with the ball side of my big ball peen hammer. The car that I'm thinking about replacing my T with has wire wheels so I might not ever deal with hub bolts again.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Neil Kaminar on Sunday, February 11, 2018 - 12:17 pm:

I used Loctite 262 on my wheels. This is for permanent installation but will come apart with lots of torque or heat. Remove all oil and grease before use. We use this at my work for permanent assembly. We build industrial machinery. Works well but probably not for the purists.

Neil

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration