Air intake leak - is this why the car overheats?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Air intake leak - is this why the car overheats?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Dunlap - Orlando, Florida on Saturday, February 10, 2018 - 06:30 pm:

We are working on a 1922 Center Door for a friend. It has been overheating badly for him, and now is chugging and sputtering.

We got it running today, but it has a real bad air intake leak and runs only for a short time. We are working on a number of issues and have many options for addressing the overheating. However, we started wondering if the overheating could be caused by the air intake leak. Thoughts?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Copeland - West Melbourne Florida on Saturday, February 10, 2018 - 07:12 pm:

There are a few reasons why a T will over heat.
1. Engine water cavity plugged with rust
2. Radiator plugged
3. Timing not right
4 Bands to tight
These are the top reasons. Im in Melbourne. If I can find some time Id be glad to look it over for you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Copeland - West Melbourne Florida on Saturday, February 10, 2018 - 07:15 pm:

Feel your radiator, Is it warmer towards the top than it is on the bottom? Does the front of the engine block feel warmer than the back? If either one of these are true than that may be the reason.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brian Billing on Saturday, February 10, 2018 - 07:22 pm:

Very likely, running with an intake leak means it's running lean = overheating

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Saturday, February 10, 2018 - 07:43 pm:

On the 25 I have been working on was not running too bad till I installed the Simmons carb. Man did it over heat. But it was not the carb itself, I forgot to plug the heater element connection hole and so had a nice hole to pull air thru. Once I plugged it the temp went way down, so yes an air leak which will cause the motor to need extra fuel to compensate can run hotter.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Dunlap - Orlando, Florida on Saturday, February 10, 2018 - 08:02 pm:

Thanks guys. We will check out all the usual reasons for the overheating, but we suspect the air intake leak is a major contributor to the problem.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Hatch on Sunday, February 11, 2018 - 01:29 am:

Is the head gasket on correct? Dan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Neil Kaminar on Sunday, February 11, 2018 - 08:31 am:

Is there no water in the radiator?
Are you driving up a 45% hill in high?
Do you have a ton of rocks in the back seat?
Is there no air in the tires?
Are you dragging an anchor?
Are there plastic bags stuck to the front of the radiator?

Just a few things that can cause your car to overheat.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Sunday, February 11, 2018 - 08:35 am:

Fix your running problems first. As stated above an intake leak/ lean mixture can cause over heating.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration