'26-'27 Runabout Side Curtain Instructions

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: '26-'27 Runabout Side Curtain Instructions
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Matthew C. McCullough on Sunday, February 11, 2018 - 08:51 am:

I was wondering if someone would happen to have a copy of the instructions on how to install all of the side curtains on a '26 Runabout? I have a '26
Runabout with an older restoration, it came with all the side curtains. However, they've never been installed/mounted. I picked up the fasteners I need and just was to get all the flaps and locations correct.

If someone could post them or email me a set, it would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks, Matt

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Sunday, February 11, 2018 - 08:59 am:

Ford used Anzo fasteners then. What you have may not work, especially if they are reproductions.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Sunday, February 11, 2018 - 10:55 am:

Matthew

Don't know of any written instructions, Ford or new suppliers.

The curtains are pretty easy. Photos or looking at other T's with curtains on helps.

The rear Gypsy fits to the rear bow. Factory Early'26 (i.e. from Aug '25 to perhaps June '26) used a push button clamp with a spring loaded blind socket placed in the rear bow to hold fast the top.

Repro can be had from Lang's.

Then the rear Gypsy has open rings to allow the curtain to sandwich under the top, by popping off the pushbutton fastener, and putting it back thru the ring, and then fasten both curtain and top onto the rear bow.

The front curtain is held to the windshield with Lift the Dot fasteners , these fasteners were used in 1926 too. In June '26, it replaced the pushbutton ones on the rear bow, so that Lift the Dot is on the top, but that pushbutton and socket was kept for the Touring cars, they have double sockets on the panel between the doors, as the Touring curtains go between the doors too.

Those Lift the Dot 'posts' are screwed into the stanchion, and the Lift the Dot in the curtain.

The front curtain Lift the Dots face the inside of the curtain so that the curtain flap is 'inside' the windshield stanchions, keeping weather out.

Of course, don't forget the door iron, that is put in the hole in the door top edge and slips into the pocket on the front curtain, so that the curtain opens with the door! Improved Car feature :-)

The side curtains ride high inside the top for weather protection.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Matthew C. McCullough on Sunday, February 11, 2018 - 06:19 pm:

Dan,
Thanks. I did get the appropriate hardware for the curtains from Lang's. They seem simple enough to install. I have been looking for pictures like yours on the internet. Some are close, but lack detail like on the bow that runs along the side to the windshield. The studs were installed on the side stanchions for the windshield, so spacing shouldn't be an issue there. There's a sewn flap on curtains that would appear to run down both stanshions, while the rest rolls inside and attaches to the studs.

Overall, they shouldn't be too difficult to figure out. If you or someone else could post some pictures on the inside, up around the top bow areas, that would be greatly appreciated.

BTW, I did have to replace the door rods as the ones that came with it were about half their proper length for some odd reason.

Again, thanks for the above info & pics.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration