Expensive European model ts

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Expensive European model ts
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Mazza north Adams ma on Sunday, February 11, 2018 - 10:23 am:

Why do the postings for model ts out of Europe seem so expensive. Also the 1911 roadster while gorgeous doesn’t seem to be very authentic. Any thoughts to why?https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/cars-for-sale/ford/model-t/2065227.html

https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/dealer/ford/model-t/2050451.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Sunday, February 11, 2018 - 11:07 am:

The 1911 roadster is a "look alike" that was built by Steve McClelland in the U.S.

It was meant to look like an early Ford but is a recent creation but not intended to be authentic.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Sunday, February 11, 2018 - 11:39 am:

I have to agree that it is gorgeous! Rarity is the key factor in price even if a sweet looking creation.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Neil Kaminar on Sunday, February 11, 2018 - 12:03 pm:

The price is probably a reflection of how much money and time was spent on the cars. I tend to work on my car for the love of it and don't count the time.

Neil

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerome Hoffman, Hays Kansas on Sunday, February 11, 2018 - 12:11 pm:

I would add, if imported from the US there is expense there and time.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jem Bowkett, Spalding United Kingdom on Sunday, February 11, 2018 - 01:04 pm:

T & A prices here are generally higher than in the US, there are people doing well out of shipping cars across. Yes, the shipping & import costs are an element, also you really need to look at a car yourself, or have a trustworthy agent to buy for you, so that's an extra cost. But it's really just a reflection of the market in a particular country and exchange rates.

In this case, it's a dealer in Germany. Old car prices in Germany seem to be very high. May reflect the fact that the war destroyed any antique car heritage there. Most old cars will be imports.

When my brother was deciding to emigrate many years ago, someone advised him not to look at price comparisons using exchange rates but ask 'How many hours would I have to work to buy this?' I've since seen this done in Mars bars - how many Mars bars bought locally does this equal?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Susanne on Sunday, February 11, 2018 - 02:07 pm:

We own a home in Italy as well as in the States, so we go back and forth an awful lot. But it's not just the currencies that are different - the entire economies are different.

What I end up doing is the supermarket thing - when we first get home (whichever home it is :-) ) we go to the local Supermarket and buy a week's groceries. That tells me not necessarily that X dollars are worth X euros, but X monetary unit will buy X amount of cheese or milk or bread or meat. Than I have a benchmark there (like here) what's a ripoff, and what's a good value.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Deichmann, Blistrup, Danmark on Sunday, February 11, 2018 - 02:45 pm:

Economist actually have a "Big Mac Index" - Big Mac is the same product worldwide and can be used to compare pricelevels beyond excangerates.
That said - Model Ts are not as plentiful in Europe as in the US.
Denmark may be an exception though, but virtually no survivers from before 1919, where Ford established the assembly factory in Copenhagen. Then it took of - but even so a lot of imports as well today.
When you import a Model T, you pay 5% VAT for the car but 25% VAT for the shipping and other costs. Then you will have to pay a few thousand danish kroner in registration tax before you have the licenseplates on it.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration