For those that really want to fly

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: For those that really want to fly
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Sunday, February 11, 2018 - 12:38 pm:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Model-T-Airplane-Motor/263491026245?hash=item3d5949fd45 :g:rM4AAOSw07VagHYo&vxp=mtr

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Blake, Kansas City on Sunday, February 11, 2018 - 02:54 pm:

Interesting. I'd be curious to know how those cooling fins were supposed to conduct heat away from the cylinders. The attachment seems to be less than secure. To say the least.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By dale w on Sunday, February 11, 2018 - 03:24 pm:

The description says they are "cooking fins"!
That slip-up is probably closer to the truth...

Still, that would be a neat head to run on a speedster.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Sunday, February 11, 2018 - 04:24 pm:

The pictures suggest to me that the block fins are galvanized steel and have been attached by either significant quantities of solder or poured aluminum. So they may be reasonably securely attached.
Looking at the holes machined on the sides of the crankcase suggest a interesting oiling system.
Sure would be nice to know some history!!
Some years ago I built a Pietenpol and considered using a modified T engine. Then a great deal on a A65 Continental turned up and I went that way

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Herb Iffrig on Sunday, February 11, 2018 - 05:37 pm:

An old thread from 2011

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/80257/80759.html?1257174775

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Neil Kaminar on Sunday, February 11, 2018 - 08:00 pm:

This would be interesting to buy just for the crankshaft and oil system. The rest could go on display.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Hylen- Central Minnesota on Sunday, February 11, 2018 - 09:40 pm:

I find it interesting that this motor is located in Southeastern Minnesota. That's only fifty miles from the town where the Pietenpol Sky Scout, the airplane designed to be powered with a Model T engine, was developed. This engine was very likely adapted to be used in one of those aircraft.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth in Alabama on Sunday, February 11, 2018 - 09:54 pm:

That's pretty wild. The whole idea of flying with a T engine seems crazy to me. Except for the weight, I'd think you'd want a transmission between the engine and propeller to get it spinning faster. Obviously it works, just crazy to me that it makes enough thrust to fly. I guess it depends on the pitch of the propeller.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Eckensviller - Thunder Bay, ON on Sunday, February 11, 2018 - 10:33 pm:

Now I've seen three different air cooled Model T engines online and they're all converted about the same way. I wonder if there was a Modern Mechanix article or something on how to do it.

Here's the third, BTW:
http://www.nwvs.org/Technical/Engines/ModelTE104.shtml

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob from Nova Scotia on Monday, February 12, 2018 - 07:15 am:

The devil would be wearing hockey skates before I set foot in a plane powered by a model t engine!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Monday, February 12, 2018 - 07:56 am:

Model T powered Pietenpol Sky Scout:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Nunn on Monday, February 12, 2018 - 08:15 am:

I saw a brochure about 30 years ago for a company that made aluminum-block Model A engines for aircraft. I have never been able to locate the company since then. Do any of you know if an Aluminum T engine was made? That would be the ultimate Speedster engine in my opinion.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Horton, Utah on Monday, February 12, 2018 - 08:34 am:

Without veering too much off course, I enjoy have a cache of appropriate responses to various situation and “The devil would be wearing hockey skates” just got added to the list. I am long of tooth and short of hair now and had never heard the expression before. Must be the reason I dial up the forum at O Dark hundred each morning with my first cup of coffee. Never know what you are going to learn there!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David L Corman on Monday, February 12, 2018 - 09:27 am:

A Continental 670 cubic inch 220 HP is hard to beat if you really want to fly.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Monday, February 12, 2018 - 10:25 am:

Mark
I have a aluminum model T block!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Sullivan on Monday, February 12, 2018 - 02:01 pm:

Funk Aircraft were built in the 30's with Ford A engines, Made their own aluminum heads, don't know about blocks, I've seen more than one of these heads at swap meets. Dave in Bellingham,WA

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Howard C. Sullivan on Wednesday, February 14, 2018 - 09:30 pm:

You can see one of these planes at the Model-A Museum , with a model a engine in it on the grounds of the Gilmore Museum which is just north of Kalamazoo, Michigan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis R on Thursday, February 15, 2018 - 01:55 pm:

Don't know about the aluminum Model A block for airplanes, but Donovan Engineering was doing their Model D engine. An aluminum block Model A engine with 5 main and cam bearings, full pressure oiling and lots of other "good stuff". Not sure if it is still in production, I resist going to their website for fear of ordering one...

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration