Is this an early 19 switch??

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Is this an early 19 switch??
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Hatch on Sunday, February 11, 2018 - 02:38 pm:

Got this at a swap meet the other day. Looks like early 19 switch, has cast handle, marked FORD. But the back of switch is unlike any I have seen. Has large bakelite housing. Any one know what the story is? Thanks, Dan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Hatch on Sunday, February 11, 2018 - 02:43 pm:

And, yes the amp meter is wrong for an early 19. Dan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Sunday, February 11, 2018 - 06:16 pm:

Seems like someone messed with it and put that big cylinder switch into the Ford panel.

Instead of rivets holding the switch housing, that big cyl. one is being held with slotted machine screws....rather not Ford like. :-)

2nd series early switch with cast handle, has tiny scribed Bat and Mag around the collar of the handle.

2 rivets to hold the switch housing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Sunday, February 11, 2018 - 06:21 pm:

Here is what been told is the 1st series early 1919, with 4 rivets, and the Bat, Off, Mag is stamped on the panel in small letters.

Maybe that switch you have Dan is one of the middle versions? As it has Bat, Off, Mag stamped into the handle.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Sunday, February 11, 2018 - 06:27 pm:

Dan, I tecently bought this one as am example of an early type. The handle is nickel plated die cast, with more defined edges than yours. There is no lettering atound the key boss, just the usual key number. It has the common three pin switch body mountings. I have seen others like mine, but never one like yours.

I wait with interest for the collective wisdom

Allan from down under

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Hatch on Sunday, February 11, 2018 - 07:55 pm:

No markings on switch housing other than the terminal names and Patent applied for. I have another early one that has 2 screws with a tab type switch on it. Wish Ben Martin was on here. Dan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Sunday, February 11, 2018 - 11:52 pm:

I have one earlier than that. It's round, and has the Ford script. This photo is not mine, but exactly like it. Mine was made by Clum.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Monday, February 12, 2018 - 02:48 am:

Larry, does yours take a key unlike the usual flat variety? The key slot looks to be for a ribbed key.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Hatch on Monday, February 12, 2018 - 10:08 am:

Larry: Thanks for the picture, I have a switch like that in my stuff. I was wondering what the story was on it. Dan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Monday, February 12, 2018 - 10:24 am:

The key for mine is a Clum key, and was sent to me by Jarvis Erickson. The key says Clum on it. The photo I posted is of an early 1919 center door with a leather or fabric covered dash that belongs to one of our members.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Chillingworth on Monday, February 12, 2018 - 11:46 am:

I have what also appears to be a 1919 switch. It has the cast handle with four rivets, although the rivets are in a slightly different placement pattern than the others.

The backside shows an unfamiliar and somewhat complicated contact array.

Here is the accompanying outside and inside of the back plate.

I'd be interested if anyone has worked on one like this.

Rich C.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Magyor-Northwestern, Pa. on Monday, February 12, 2018 - 05:11 pm:

Here is one that I have.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Tuesday, February 13, 2018 - 05:44 am:

Eric, yours and mine are twins.

Allan from down under.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration