Fat Man Steering Wheel Removal

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Fat Man Steering Wheel Removal
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A. Golden on Sunday, February 11, 2018 - 02:47 pm:

Removing the steering wheel is not a problem, but removing the cover that holds the reduction gears seems to be quite a problem.

There is a lock with no key for it and the exact purpose is unknown.

The gears are quite worn and must be replaced.

Does anyone have any information of the purpose of the lock or how to remove the cover?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Grady L Puryear on Sunday, February 11, 2018 - 07:17 pm:

On my Fat Man steering wheel, the key puts it in an out of gear, so if you use the key, the rim just spins and the would be thief can't steer it. I had the devil of a time getting a key made for it, finally found a man in Florida, I will see if I can find out who he was.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Sunday, February 11, 2018 - 08:48 pm:

James, what brand is it. Some pics would really help. There were several makers with there own designs as to anti-removal/theft prevention .... I know how to remove a few of them, but I need to know what you have ...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By brass car guy on Sunday, February 11, 2018 - 11:29 pm:

Jarvis old car lock and key. modeltbug@aol.com

He has a zillion nos key blanks and can fix you up.

He is also known as the Mercury Body guru.

just sayin'

brasscarguy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A. Golden on Monday, February 12, 2018 - 05:51 am:

Thanks for the tip. I only recently learned there were several manufacturers of those wheels.

I was unable to clean enough paint off the tag to read it,buy it is aluminum, with a serial number in the lower right area.

Here are some photos of my steering wheel.

wheel

another wheel

lock

nut

tag

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Monday, February 12, 2018 - 03:22 pm:

The "flip-up" "fatman" steering wheel and the key-lock anti-theft device are two separate items. The anti-theft lock is one made to use with any standard steering wheel, in this case, an after-market fatman.
The steering wheel happens to be one of my favorite fatman wheels. I have had three of them over the years. What I find interesting about them, is that there is NO name on them. No maker's marks, basically no identifying marks of any kind. These have been discussed a few times here in the past. Quite a few people have them, they must have made and sold hundreds (if not thousands?) of them. Yet, so far, no one has shown an advertisement of exactly this wheel. A non-fatman, non-flip-up steering wheel has been shown with very similar wheel spoke shape. Maybe they made this also? Maybe not?
If you notice, there is a hole in the base part that attaches to the steering shaft/post. That hole is provided for a horn wire. But why? Was a center horn button provided with the wheel? I don't know. I have never seen one of these wheels with a center horn button. Maybe they were made in Canada where the center horn button was standard on the model T? I don't know. Several other after-market steering wheels of many types also came with a hole provided for a horn wire. I suspect those after-market center horn buttons were a more common accessory than we realize.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duane Epper on Monday, February 12, 2018 - 04:47 pm:

This is one I have with the complete top horn assembly.I believe the fatman wheel was made by a company called Decker.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Monday, February 12, 2018 - 06:26 pm:

A computer crash last year lost all my hundreds of bookmarks. But I just tried googleing "Decker fatman steering wheels" and found this past discussion:

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/506218/518801.html?1424245355

Google did not show me anything to indicate the wheel is by Decker, although it did show quite a few Decker anti-theft locks. Fox was one brand that made something similar in a steering wheel, but not nearly the same. I couldn't take the time to search through very many of the links that could help. May try that later.

Duane E, Beautiful wheel, and I love the horn button. However, again, the anti-theft lock is a separate item from the steering wheel. Decker seems to have made a lot of anti-theft locks for steering wheels. So far, I still have not seen anything indicating that they might have made these fatman wheels. Still possible. And I am still looking.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A. Golden on Wednesday, February 14, 2018 - 07:27 am:

This may be the answer to my question.

Lock

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A. Golden on Monday, February 26, 2018 - 08:45 am:

Now I can answer my own question and offer some good advice on those locking steering wheels.

1. Do not lose or misplace that key!

2. Get a second or third key made for safety.

3. Do not forget where you keep the spare key.

The first problem was to remove the lock assembly.

While it was free to turn just a fraction, there was something holding it from turning.

A close examination identified the groove on the side as being made for the pin used to lock the cover in place.

This also identified the reason for the hole in the cover top. The 1/8th inch hole was drilled and used to drive the 3/32nd inch pin in place to lock the cover.

Cover

The pin was easily removed with a slightly smaller punch and the cover was easily unscrewed.

The lock cylinder was another problem. A small set screw held it in place, but once that screw was removed, the cylinder would come out only 3/8th inch.

Pin

There is a 5 digit number on the lock cylinder, but only the last 3 numbers are clear enough to read. The name appears to be Russkin at the top, but that is very faint.

Cylinder

There was a very easy solution to the problem, a new set of gears, a replated cover and a nice steering wheel.

Wheel

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration