Bad Crankshaft?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Bad Crankshaft?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Olson on Sunday, February 11, 2018 - 03:35 pm:

When I hold my crank in one hand and tap it with a hammer it goes THUD.
Four others I have make a nice RING when tapped.
Is this enough to junk it?
Thanks in advance.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Blake, Kansas City on Sunday, February 11, 2018 - 03:56 pm:

Four that ring and one that goes THUD? That almost sounds backwards based on several posts from the 2 piece crank club.

But yes, the thud noise is not good, That is one quick and dirty test for metallic parts. The ring from the other 4 however does not mean they are good. It just means you can save yourself the expense of crack checking on the one that thuds.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By joe bell on Sunday, February 11, 2018 - 04:39 pm:

John, I have had some that thud and where good and some that rang like a bell that where cracked, have it magnufluxed to tell for sure, no use looking for a crank if not needed!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Olson on Sunday, February 11, 2018 - 05:31 pm:

Thanks guys!
I guess I'll spend some money.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kohnke Rebabbitting, Clare, Iowa on Sunday, February 11, 2018 - 06:38 pm:

Joes, Right.

Herm.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By J and M Machine Co Inc on Monday, February 12, 2018 - 08:52 am:

I hear this often when people say "It rings like a bell, means it's not cracked." These both rang like a tuning fork. These cracks would of been destructive to entire engine.
We asked this same question in front of our local Model T club and showed them these. Lot's of mouths hit the floor.

It pays to have all parts magnafluxed. your Model T depends on it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kohnke Rebabbitting, Clare, Iowa on Monday, February 12, 2018 - 01:33 pm:

"Agree"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Rogers - South of the Adirondacks NY on Monday, February 12, 2018 - 02:31 pm:

"Rings like a bell" is a fine example of the proliferation of misinformation in this hobby. This "method" of crank diagnosis has been around for a century and it has never the been proper way to value a crank.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Barrett in Auburn Ca. on Monday, February 12, 2018 - 05:18 pm:

If it doesn't ring, it is cracked. If it does ring, it may very well be cracked. Always magnaflux.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kohnke Rebabbitting, Clare, Iowa on Monday, February 12, 2018 - 06:42 pm:

My Dad told me of a Guy that drove a Model T all of his life, in to his early 90's, and he still couldn't DRIVE !

Yup, just like it, ones with the least experience, always know the most.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Tuesday, February 13, 2018 - 02:28 am:

Back in the late '60's my lifetime friend was rebuilding a 312 Y block Ford. He had a crank that "rang like a bell", so he put it in the back of his Dad's IH pickup and headed to the nearest machine shop in Falls City NE., about a 30 minute drive. When he got there, the crank was laying in 2 pieces. That pretty well summed up that myth for us. Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kohnke Rebabbitting, Clare, Iowa on Tuesday, February 13, 2018 - 02:38 pm:

Yup !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham, Blackfoot, Idaho on Tuesday, February 13, 2018 - 03:56 pm:

Similar factoid - the Liberty Bell was cracked from day one (made long before Independence) and was used anyway, because, well, it "rang like a bell" ! : )

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kohnke Rebabbitting, Clare, Iowa on Tuesday, February 13, 2018 - 04:25 pm:

Good one, Rich.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration