Installing differential gears

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Installing differential gears
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Young in Mays Landing, NJ on Sunday, February 11, 2018 - 09:26 pm:

I've decided to go with new axle shafts on the Ruckstell rebuild that I'm into at this time. I see no issue in getting the gears off of the old shafts, but would like some technique advise about getting them onto the new shafts. I have a press and can fab up just about anything needed. Any photos of it being done or an explanation would be appreciated. Holding the shaft is my dilemma.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker, Ramona, CA on Sunday, February 11, 2018 - 09:58 pm:

Maybe I have been lucky but I always install a nut on the threaded end to protect the threads. Most times I can remove the gear with my 12 ton press, when it won’t move I take it to Alan who has a BIG press. I have always managed to replace the gear with my press. My biggest problem is all the moving of the press plates, they are soooo heavy.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Sunday, February 11, 2018 - 10:03 pm:

Use a socket to fit in the recess on the gear face, line up key and keyway and push the gear on the shaft with your press. Install the c clips and press the shaft back down on the gear. You need to be careful when you press the gear on that the shaft that the shaft does not spring out and sail across the room.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Young in Mays Landing, NJ on Monday, February 12, 2018 - 06:37 am:

Having that shaft spit out of the press while putting the gear back on is exactly what I want to avoid and exactly what I envisioned happening.

Does any one chill the shaft in a. freezer and put the gear in a toaster oven?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Jablonski on Monday, February 12, 2018 - 06:45 am:

Dave :

Some have posted about the "new" axel shafts being a bit too long, or not the correct hardness., being a modified propeller shaft. Finding a good original Ford axel ahaft may be better.

Your chill/heat method is plausible.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Spencer Vibert - Granby ,CT on Monday, February 12, 2018 - 07:17 am:

Dave that is how I did the new rearend in the roadster axle in the freezer over night and the gears in the oven for half an hour at 300

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Young in Mays Landing, NJ on Monday, February 12, 2018 - 10:25 am:

Crap, Bob! Now you have me stalled. I haven't ordered them yet... Can anyone else comment of this. Are the new axles ok? Bob, me and Cathy are gonna stop by in the Chandler sometime this winter. I'll be in touch. Thanks, Spencer. Did you sell that NOS ring and pinion that you had?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Monday, February 12, 2018 - 10:31 am:

I bought new axle shafts from Chaffin's and they worked perfectly for me. I believe that they are intentionally made 1/16 inch longer than OEM Ford to allow for Rocky Mountain brakes and/or wear on the hub taper.

Glen, can you comment?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Monday, February 12, 2018 - 11:50 am:

I find the new axles are O.K. - just built up 2 Ruckstells and a pair of stock rear axle assemblies in the last few months - all with new axles ordered from Lang's & Snyder's which I believe are from the same manufacturer.

That being said - the issue I had with ALL axles was the brooch in the axle keyway for the rear hub being a couple thousands TOO narrow to properly install the new 1/4" axle key - had to dress the new keys down to "tap" fit !

For R & R of the axle gears - I've built a "cage" from multiple heavy clamp-on set collars welded to about a 2' piece of 1/4" angle iron then use a good rear hub for the new taper with a steel shim over the hub keyway and press away !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Monday, February 12, 2018 - 11:53 am:

Steve just reminded me - I too had to slightly dress down the keys. No big deal.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Young in Mays Landing, NJ on Monday, February 12, 2018 - 12:13 pm:

Thanks guys. I'm going to order them all all the rest today.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glenn W. Beers / Kunkletown, Pa on Monday, February 12, 2018 - 12:42 pm:

Rebuilt my rear last month, two new axles from Lang's. The axles worked great the keys fit nice. (GREAT SERVICE FROM LANG'S AS ALWAYS)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Spencer Vibert - Granby ,CT on Monday, February 12, 2018 - 01:12 pm:

Dave I already sold them If I were you I would seriously look into the 3.25 to 1 gears they make a nice combo with a ruckstell

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Young in Mays Landing, NJ on Monday, February 12, 2018 - 05:53 pm:

I did chew on the 3.25 for quite a while but decided on going back to stock from the 3:1 that I had in there. I came up with a real nice 40/11 set locally and that really clinched it, given the big money already going into this little project.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration