Tachometer on my speedster

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Tachometer on my speedster
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth in Alabama on Sunday, February 11, 2018 - 10:15 pm:

https://youtu.be/yqiC1JEjSdc

I've been wanting to find some way to put a tach on my speedster, mainly cause I haven't seen them very often and I think they're super cool.

I saw this old Reliance hand held tachometer, I think it's for use in a belt drive machine shop. I haven't been able to find an accurate way to date the tach, but I think it's pre-1920, and maybe even earlier than that.

I got some help from the awesome folks at Texas Industrial Electric. They specialize in old mechanical tachs. They made a 90* drive for me along with the drive cable. They helped fabricate everything I needed. I made a bracket and pulley, but if I'd been willing to spend the money they'd have made me a 6 volt alternator with the tach drive connecting directly to the rear of the alternator instead. I might go to that eventually but I'm running with this for now.

I really like that the RPM range is so low, since I probably won't get up over 2,500. The pulley I'm using is the same diameter as my crankshaft pulley. The input for the tach is 1 to 1, and it's marked on the backside. I think the RPM I'm seeing while the engine is running is pretty accurate.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Doris, AZ on Monday, February 12, 2018 - 11:25 am:

Seth, Nice looking tachometer and install. Your speedster looks and sounds great as well.

Texas Industrial Electric made up the cable components for my Stewart speedometer installation. Were very helpful in identifying the parts needed. Prices were reasonable as well.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Monday, February 12, 2018 - 12:27 pm:

Neat.

My only concern is that it being designed as a hand held model, it might not hold up for continuous use. But that is pure speculation.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth in Alabama on Monday, February 12, 2018 - 12:41 pm:

Hal I wondered the same thing, but, as good as it looks I figured I'll run it until it quits! It's very heavy and seems well made, so I hope it lasts a good while.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C-west central, MN on Monday, February 12, 2018 - 09:23 pm:

That tach is huge! And beautiful!
If the input shaft on your tach has a plain bearing, give it a drop of oil every once in awhile.
Or every time you oil the valve-train. ;-)
Very cool.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Royster on Monday, February 12, 2018 - 09:43 pm:

We use the hand held tachs for hit and miss engines

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration