Straightening wire wheels

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Straightening wire wheels
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Barrett in Auburn Ca. on Monday, February 12, 2018 - 12:08 am:

Today we straightened a bunch of T wire wheels before sending them out to be powder coated. We use a BEAR press made for this purpose. It has a turntable in the center with lots of adapters for mounting just about any wheel. There is a pointer you can set against the wheel and spin it to see the runout. Then you can use the hydraulic jacks to correct it. Also there is tooling to correct localized bends in the edge of the rim that do not affect the rim as a whole. We can usually get total runout to less than 1/16". Some of the rims I have put on the press are bent like pretzels. Sometimes correction of individual spokes is necessary both before and after tweaking on the press. Thought you might like to see this.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Garrett on Monday, February 12, 2018 - 09:08 am:

Erik,
Appreciate you showing your setup. I need to make a rig like this myself to straighten some of mine. I love making my own special tools and shop equipment.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Hatch on Monday, February 12, 2018 - 10:05 am:

More and better picture please. thanks, Dan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Carnegie Spokane, WA on Monday, February 12, 2018 - 10:29 am:

In my experience with straightening with a press, they revert back over time. I have had better luck using heat to shrink/stretch the individual spokes. The heat procedure is easier than using a press, uses less specialized equipment and it produces better and longer lasting results.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Garrett on Monday, February 12, 2018 - 04:45 pm:

What about using both? I would think they would work very well together. Is there any danger in the spokes losing their "temper" from being heated?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Layden Butler on Monday, February 12, 2018 - 05:20 pm:

Mike,
Aren't these by definition " welded spoke wheels"?
I am thinking there is no temper in the spokes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Denny Seth - Jefferson, Ohio on Monday, February 12, 2018 - 05:20 pm:

Eric,

Would it be possible for you to post a video of this Bear press in operation?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Barrett in Auburn Ca. on Monday, February 12, 2018 - 05:23 pm:

I use both methods. Heating won't bother the spokes. I have wheels trued on this machine 25 years ago still running straight. The wheels are pretty elastic so you have to bend them past where you want to be and they spring back a little.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Garrett on Monday, February 12, 2018 - 05:53 pm:

Laydon,
Touche' - you have a point! Could you post some more photos of your set-up including the hub fixture? I want to get a good look at how it's built.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration