OT But need advice/help

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: OT But need advice/help
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marty Bufalini - Grosse Pointe, MI on Monday, February 12, 2018 - 07:16 pm:

I have an oddball 1925 Gray currently undergoing restoration. Finding parts for a car that was made for only about 4 years is hard, as you can imagine. But I made contact with a guy in Iowa and made a deal to buy all of his Gray stuff including a chassis and engine, wheels, fenders, radiator and many other parts.

My problem is getting them to Grosse Pointe, MI from Sioux City, Iowa.

Who do you use for transporting a bunch of stuff? I tried FreighTer Jim but seem to have lost contact with him.

Please, I could use suggestions for a reasonable shipper.

Thanks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A Bartsch on Monday, February 12, 2018 - 07:32 pm:

Marty: Any of your T-buddies from Michigan going to Chickasha, Iowa is sorta on that route? Good luck with your project, jb

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Monday, February 12, 2018 - 08:42 pm:

Marty, I was in Iowa 3 weeks ago. Not much help now, I know.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Monday, February 12, 2018 - 08:54 pm:

Marty I spotted a Gray on craigslist recently but never got an answer back when I responded. Wonder if it was the same car? I researched Gray cars a little when I thought I might get the one I looked at. They are interesting vehicles. Good luck with yours. Post some OT pics or I will pm you my phone number and you can send me some pics.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey, Hayward Ca. on Monday, February 12, 2018 - 11:24 pm:

I believe they were made by Gray Marine.
I have known about the Gray cars but never have seen one.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By FreighTer Jim on Monday, February 12, 2018 - 11:40 pm:

Marty,

We had an email exchange - you initiated it - I replied repeatedly - either you are not reading what I sent or ?

Wait for the Spring - ask a friend who has a trailer to make the trip with you - rent a trailer and a tow vehicle or a small rental truck & go after the load yourself.

FJ

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By FreighTer Jim on Tuesday, February 13, 2018 - 01:58 am:

BTW,

You or anyone else is welcome to give me a call with any
transport questions you have - I donít take international calls.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, February 13, 2018 - 11:08 am:

I would take a trailer and go fetch it. Grosse Pointe to Sioux City is about 800 to 850 miles, depending on how you go.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Andreasen on Tuesday, February 13, 2018 - 11:23 am:

I agree with Steve......a three day trip at worst, cost of gas, food and motels. Heck, I drove from California to West Virginia and back just to retrieve a 6000 lb. oil field engine! Took my brother in law and a heavy duty trailer. Saw some great country!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marty Bufalini - Grosse Pointe, MI on Tuesday, February 13, 2018 - 05:35 pm:

FreighTer Jim, I sent you some emails and didn't get a response, so I figured you were too busy. Also, thanks to all for the suggestions. I'll post pics of the Gray for those that are interested when I'm at my computer.

Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Anderson on Tuesday, February 13, 2018 - 06:32 pm:

www.ytmag.com look in the left hand column under Community. There you will find "Hauling Schedule" post what you want hauled there for free.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By FreighTer Jim on Tuesday, February 13, 2018 - 10:24 pm:

Sorry to disagree Marty .....

I have an email conversation conversation with you involving several exchanges on the same email thread -,back and forth over a few days.

Aside from that - you never even picked up the phone & made a call.

So donít post here on the forum that I was not communicating with you.

FJ

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marty Bufalini - Grosse Pointe, MI on Wednesday, February 14, 2018 - 07:40 pm:

No debate here, Jim, but, I didn't post no communication. I wouldn't do that. However, I did send you a couple of emails after the initial one and didn't get a response. I was just trying to give some business to a forum member.

Anyway, thanks for your response and consideration and drive safe!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marty Bufalini - Grosse Pointe, MI on Wednesday, February 14, 2018 - 07:41 pm:

Mark Anderson, thanks, I'll give that a try.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Thursday, February 15, 2018 - 01:21 am:

Marty B, A day or two ago, I wrote some stuff, could have sworn I posted it. But it is not here. :-( Don't think I can write it as well as I did before. :-(

Anyway. Does this mean you are now the owner of two of these rare cars? It sounds as though you are the new owner of the parts car/project pile that was "for sale" recently? It looked like such a great opportunity.
I have been fascinated by the Gray automobile for a very long time since I knew the owner of one almost fifty years ago. At the time, it was said that his was one of six cars then known to survive. The count of six had come from Harrah's research department at that time. He had helped Bill Harrah's restoration department restore the one they had for Harrah's collection, and he wound up Knowing Bill Harrah personally because of the Gray automobile. I believe the count of known survivors is up to about ten now, but I don't know if that includes the project pile or not. Awhile back, there was a discussion on the AACA forum about the Gray automobiles. Apparently, quite a few parts are known to exist, just not many whole cars.
It is interesting that surviving records and era photos indicate that there were a lot of the cars during the '20s, and dealerships all over the USA. They must have one of the worst survival rates of any USA built automobile.

And by the way? The Gray is not entirely OT here. Gray had worked for Ford, and some parts of the Gray look to have quite a bit of model T influence.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dale Myers on Thursday, February 15, 2018 - 07:38 am:

Apparently my grandfather sold Gray automobiles for a while.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marty Bufalini - Grosse Pointe, MI on Thursday, February 15, 2018 - 05:48 pm:

Wayne, I now own one complete car undergoing a (slow) restoration, a bunch of extra parts found over the years and, the pile of parts (including an engine, chassis, drive train, wheels, fenders, radiator and, I'm not sure what else because I bought it all sight unseen except for photos sent to me) you are referring to. I've also collected every bit of literature I could find. So, I guess you could say I own one and 3/4 Grays!!!

I think there are about 10 complete cars existing world-wide. There was one at the Hershey car show last year and the same one was at the OCF last year. It's a roadster. Mine is a touring. Had some nice conversation with the owners. Nice people. We are still in contact.

There are not many parts left. For years I scourged Hershey (and had my friends do the same), the internet, etc. looking for parts. For some reason, a lot seem to be in Australia!

I'm not sure how many were made but they were only made from 1922 or 1923 until 1925 with some styling changes in the last year. Mine is a 1925 and is a pretty sharp looking car. But, except for the engine, they were not very good. Like many automakers of the period, Gray tried to compete with Ford but couldn't compete in price or quality, consequently, they are not good.

They did share some things with the Model T, like thermo-syphon cooling. And Gray tried to lubricate the sliding-gear transmission with engine oil like the T with the crankcase and transmission having a passage way between them. The transmission gears suffered from that.

Yes, you're right, John Gray was the first president of the Ford Motor Company.

But, I'm rambling.

If anyone is interested, I could post pictures.

Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marty Bufalini - Grosse Pointe, MI on Thursday, February 15, 2018 - 05:49 pm:

Frank, have you anything you'd like to sell? Literature, parts, etc?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Thursday, February 15, 2018 - 06:26 pm:

Yes Mary. Photos would be great. I remember the one at the OCF.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Friday, February 16, 2018 - 02:35 am:

I think you know that I would like to see pictures! Lots of them!

I know that on that discussion awhile back on the AACA forum, they mentioned quite a few parts of cars being in Australia and surrounding areas. (Maybe that comment was on what I know I wrote, but it mysteriously disappeared? There was quite a discussion about Gray, I made some comments there, as did a number of other people.)

Yeah, a lot of other people wanted to get a chunk of Ford's pie. But it took Ford almost fifteen years (1895? into 1913?) to build the synergy to make the model T what it then became. One could not easily just pick up and build a competitive product, even with a little backing and background.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob McDaniel Indiana Truck Logansport In on Friday, February 16, 2018 - 11:24 am:

I want to put in my vote for pictures. Always nice to see the rare ones come back to life. Trust me, I know how hard it is restore something that doesn't exist.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marty Bufalini - Grosse Pointe, MI on Friday, February 16, 2018 - 05:33 pm:

Gentlemen, I will post what I have next week when I'm back at my computer. Thanks for the interest, that's nice.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marty Bufalini - Grosse Pointe, MI on Friday, February 16, 2018 - 05:36 pm:

To FreighTer Jim:

I found out why we had miscommunications. My email was hacked and I was not getting any incoming messages!!!

All fixed now and sorry for the confusion.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C-west central, MN on Friday, February 16, 2018 - 10:45 pm:

Hoping you get your Gray goodies home to you in a timely fashion and I'll also be waiting/itching for your photos when you have the time Marty. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nevin Gough on Saturday, February 17, 2018 - 07:20 am:

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration