Titles from Vermont

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Titles from Vermont
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Monday, February 12, 2018 - 08:05 pm:

The seller of a non-T vehicle that I am interested in, which he has no title for, told me that a title could be obtained thru the Vermont DMV without a lot of grief. There are videos on Youtube about it but I wondered if anyone on here had tried it. Neither the seller or me, the buyer, live in Vermont but it is supposed to work anyway. Too good to be true?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Monday, February 12, 2018 - 08:13 pm:

Some states will not accept those titles. I suggest the seller do the leg work and get a good title or registration in THEIR name. Even if the deal falls thru they have the good paper work in their name.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Monday, February 12, 2018 - 08:15 pm:

PS if it is so easy why hasn't he done so all ready?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Andreasen on Tuesday, February 13, 2018 - 11:20 am:

I successfully licensed a 1967 Honda Tail 90 in Vermont without ownership papers (purchased from the original owner, lost title). Vermont does NOT require proof of ownership on bikes over 20 years old and under 200 cc's.

As for older cars, the best way to check is to contact the Vermont DMV. Most of the phone calls are handled by prisoners, believe it or not! It's part of a program to integrate them back into society and saves the state money to boot. In any case, they'll provide you with the steps necessary to register the car and I'll bet you a cast iron dollar that the registration IS transferable.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dufault on Tuesday, February 13, 2018 - 11:47 am:

.....a cast iron dollar .....

Another learning experience for me...what's that?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, February 13, 2018 - 12:16 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dufault on Tuesday, February 13, 2018 - 01:49 pm:

So, Mr. Thrifty has some BIG BUCKS hidden away ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Darryl Bobzin on Tuesday, February 13, 2018 - 06:24 pm:

Tom you will still have to jump through all the hoops at the NCDMV. You may as well just get a notarized bill of sale.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William L Vanderburg on Tuesday, February 13, 2018 - 06:44 pm:

When I did mine, I did it through Vermont. I don't live there, and the car was never there. Citizenship of that state at the time was not required. I don't believe it still is.

You send them a bill of sale from the seller and the appropriate title/tag form and the appropriate tax.

You will get a tag and a registration paper. The registration paper is the TITLE. Vermont does not title cars over 25 years old. Period.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William L Vanderburg on Tuesday, February 13, 2018 - 06:45 pm:

I then kept the tag for 1 year, took the paper to my MVC and VOILA!! I got it titled in my state.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Tuesday, February 13, 2018 - 07:16 pm:

Buying a car without a title; What you're doing is paying the seller for the privilege of proving (and doing all the work involved) that he actually owns the car and has the right to sell it. You'll be handing over dough that you'll NEVER see again because once it's in his pocket it's gone wether you end up proving it was his or not. Suppose it's stolen and the VIN shows up that way? Now you're out the money AND the car. Bad medicine. Especially with a more modern car which probably had an actual title when new.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Tuesday, February 13, 2018 - 07:26 pm:

Are we talking about the State of Vermont or Vermont Title Company? They are two different things. Boils down to what I said, if it is that easy the seller needs to get the title, he would have the burden to prove he owns and has the right to sell the car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Andreasen on Wednesday, February 14, 2018 - 01:16 pm:

Talking about the State of Vermont.....if you have a dated/signed bill of sale and verification of the serial number (your own DMV probably has the papers) then Vermont should title/license the vehicle. Again, best to call them for the correct procedure.

Vermont seems to have an "enlightened" view on older or antique vehicles. That, plus they probably want your money! Either way it works.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David L Corman on Thursday, February 15, 2018 - 08:14 pm:

Tommy, First you need to find out what your state requires for paper work to title. Some states will accept bill of sale most others will not. Some will allow you to bond for a title, a very expensive ordeal. Myself, I would not buy without a title. Seller should furnish proper paperwork.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Landry, Hudson, NH on Friday, February 16, 2018 - 09:51 am:

No title required in NH for anything older than 1990. Easy to get one though, although I doubt that it work for someone who doesn't live here. You need to have the VIN verified by someone official - most often the local police.

I recently bought a '23 chassis/engine that I'm going to build into a depot hack. I got the VIN verification form from the town clerk (where we register cars) and called the police station. 15 minutes later, a cop stopped by. I pointed to the serial number on the motor and said "that's all these things have". He wrote it down and signed the form. Took it back to the registration folks and 3-4 weeks later a title showed up in the mail.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Nunn on Friday, February 16, 2018 - 01:31 pm:

I find myself in the same situation in Nebraska. I bought a ’26 from my aunt about a week ago with only a bill of sale. My state requires a title for any car purchased and brought into the state. I needed to find another avenue to ownership. The car was in Missouri. My aunt and uncle bought the “pile of parts” from a cousin who had started working on the car in the ‘80’s. The cousin did not have a title either.

After months of research and calls to NE and MO DMV’s, department of revenue, local and state law enforcement, I took a leap of faith that I could get a title. Nebraska has an option of applying for a title for an “Assembled Classic Car.” That requires a notarized bill of sale that includes the serial numbers of the frame and engine. Fortunately, my aunt had the itemized and notarized bill of sale when she bought it and I received the same from her. The process won’t be easy or quick but I was willing to try and hope that nothing had been reported stolen and not recovered.

My aunt could not even request a title search in MO without getting a court order. It’s crazy but true. Her health and finances prohibited pursuing such an endeavor.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rod Letcher - Eugene Oregon on Friday, March 09, 2018 - 01:35 pm:

Just a FYI concerning this thread, I recently purchased a replica 1903 Olds CDO. This one a Bliss Surrey manufactured in 1958. At the time (according to research) these were considered street legal, some were kits and some totally manufactured by Bliss in Canton Ohio. At any rate, the car I bought was bought on a Bill Of Sale from a classic car dealer in Portland Oregon. There was no record of it ever being registered or titled that could be found.

I had heard about the Vermont approach to get a title, so I got an application, filled it out, mailed it in along with a copy of the Bill of Sale, a check for the application fee and the Vermont sales tax (6%) $428.00 total. this all within the last 3 weeks. On Tuesday I received a temporary Vermont registration and a brand new "Antique" Vermont License plate. In 10 days I'm supposed to receive the permanent registration which I will take to my local Oregon DMV and supposedly get a new Oregon Title. So far I'm batting a 1000.

Rod

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration