Old photo- 1912 oil well Ford

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Old photo- 1912 oil well Ford
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Herb Iffrig on Tuesday, February 13, 2018 - 07:18 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Denny Seth - Jefferson, Ohio on Tuesday, February 13, 2018 - 07:42 am:

Well I guess this picture answers the question of what oil people used in the Model T. They went straight to the oil well and ran crude!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By dale w on Tuesday, February 13, 2018 - 08:30 am:

Nice! notice the "jerk Line" running horizontally from the derrick. It is leading to a pump jack house that has a steam or gasoline engine belted to a cammed wheel that is pumping several wells strewn over a few acres all at once.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tim magill on Tuesday, February 13, 2018 - 08:31 am:

how does he honk the horn?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lew Morrill on Tuesday, February 13, 2018 - 09:26 am:

If really interested in the "jerk line" the Buckley Michigan Old Engine show club has a permanent installation that they operate during their show each summer. Michigan still has quite a few operating oil wells. The show makes for a great day if you enjoy seeing the mechanical items of the day, many of them operating during the show. Buckley is about 20 miles South of Traverse City Michigan. The club has over several 100 acres with permanent train tracks and of course 100's of tractors of all types to see during the show. The show is always held in August. It's well worth the effort to travel to Northern Michigan to see it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry Davis Houston TX on Tuesday, February 13, 2018 - 09:35 am:

In my earlier years, I would have occasions to go into producing fields that used jerk lines to pull the pumps. Each line would make a creepy sound as the line would slide through the wood guides. At night each would 'MOAN" like someone in agony. Scary because it sounded so real.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham, Blackfoot, Idaho on Tuesday, February 13, 2018 - 09:58 am:

Tim, the horn is electric. Headlamps have been converted too. With a bumper, this '12 is "well" accessorized - oil's well that ends well !

Dale, Lew, Jerry, thanks for the oil field information. Mighty interesting !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pat Kelly Montana on Tuesday, February 13, 2018 - 10:22 am:

Here is a engine house we visited this summer at Gallop City MT east of Conrad. The town was abandon in 1933 but they pumped oil with the engine and wheel into the 70's.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By dale w on Tuesday, February 13, 2018 - 10:45 am:

Pat K.,
Them's some very nice pictures.

Do You have any info what make that impressive oil-field engine is? I'm guessing a 25 h.p. Superior.

Love the add-on electric start and the Corvair-like twist to the flat drive belt!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Tuesday, February 13, 2018 - 10:56 am:

The Buckly Mi old engine show has a engine running one of these big wheeles.Always the third weekend in Augest there about 10,900,38,11 model TT trucks running all over the place! Bud in Wheeler,Mi.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Carey on Tuesday, February 13, 2018 - 11:33 am:

They have one of these wheels in Kent CT and run it at there annual show. CAMA I think the club is called. Ct Antique Machinery Association.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, February 13, 2018 - 12:09 pm:

The Woolaroc Museum near Bartlesville has an excellent model/diorama showing an oil field jerk line setup. I'd post a photo, but that was the trip where my camera was swiped.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A Bartsch on Tuesday, February 13, 2018 - 03:25 pm:

They even removed the tire chains for the pic. There's an operational natural gas fueled oil field pump at Drake's well museum near Oil City PA.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Carey on Tuesday, February 13, 2018 - 04:06 pm:

They run the one in Kent on Propane.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pat Kelly Montana on Wednesday, February 14, 2018 - 11:15 am:

Dale W, I forget the make of the engine and couldn't find a picture that showed it. This stop was a highlight for me as I love old machinery of any kind.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration