Wheel Hub Conversion

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Wheel Hub Conversion
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Elliott on Tuesday, February 13, 2018 - 04:26 pm:

O.K., I know this has probably been talked about before so bear with me. I need to have new wheels made for my 1910 T; I know it's supposed to have 5 1/2" wheel hubs to be correct, but I'm not restoring the car to win judging points and those hubs are extremely hard to find! That being said, I still want to be a good steward while doing the restoration. I know the original 5 1/2" rear hubs were made for straight axles, which I'm not interested in using, and I've also heard that the later style hubs can be machined down to the correct size to look like originals. My question is two fold; if an original set of hubs can be found, can the rear's be made to accept tapered axles and secondly, if I were to have a later set of hubs machined down to the correct size, is this reasonably affordable?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dale Kemmerer Medford, Or on Tuesday, February 13, 2018 - 04:46 pm:

Bill, the fronts are quite easily made into 5 1/2 by welding up the bolt holes, redrilling the holes and turning down the flanges. I've done it myself. For the rears you need a pair with good keyways, give them the same treatment as the fronts, turn down the threaded end and make new pieces to have the right profile and marry them together. I could have done that myself also but a friend had two pair done and offered one pair to me for less than 300 dollars. Your call if that is reasonably affordable

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Tuesday, February 13, 2018 - 04:53 pm:

Don't know about machining off the newer style to get to 5 1/2", 1/4" off the circumference of the hub plate and your in the bolt holes.

For me, was easy to select a good set of later hubs, Timken taper bearing up front, and good rear hubs for new taper axles on the faux '09 runabout created years ago.

Had Johnson's Wood Wheels mount the later hubs with oval spokes, rounded wood felloes of the early cars.

Makes it look early, but newer hubs, can't tell the diameter at distance!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Haynes - Chadron, Nebraska on Tuesday, February 13, 2018 - 05:19 pm:

Bill, at one time you could buy new rear hubs that looked like 10 hubs from the outside but were made for a tapered axle. Lang's at one time had them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Elliott on Tuesday, February 13, 2018 - 05:56 pm:

Lang's used to sell them??? How long ago was that? I wonder if they have any laying around in the back room!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration