OT- Help identifying antique leather roller device

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: OT- Help identifying antique leather roller device
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Saggese on Tuesday, February 13, 2018 - 04:33 pm:

I was recently given this small antique device that consists of a sheet steel frame and a pair of wooden rollers with a pair of short leather belts wrapped around them. One roller has a hand crank.

This came from Wayne Stanfield's estate in Cayucos, CA. He was a big Model T and Hupmobile guy but also a general antiques collector.

Any idea what I have?

Text description
Text description
Text description
Text description

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Garrett on Tuesday, February 13, 2018 - 04:49 pm:

As my Dad used to say..."I don't know what it is, but it sure looks like a good one!"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Tuesday, February 13, 2018 - 06:11 pm:

Amish blender??

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Darryl Bobzin on Tuesday, February 13, 2018 - 06:19 pm:

Early turn of the century finger pincher.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Neil Kaminar on Tuesday, February 13, 2018 - 06:23 pm:

The V grooves indicate that it might have had a belt there so that the drums, and thus the leather parts, would rotate in the same direction. If this is so it might have been used to roll cigars or cigarettes. Just a guess.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Manuel, Lafayette, La. on Tuesday, February 13, 2018 - 07:43 pm:

My first thought was a cigarette roller. Reminds me of the old metal ones from the forties, fifties.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Tuesday, February 13, 2018 - 07:53 pm:

my first thought was to ring out socks then I thought the same as above, for rolling smokes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jem Bowkett, Spalding United Kingdom on Wednesday, February 14, 2018 - 02:46 am:

People who roll their own have a dinky gadget in a little tin box that slips in the pocket. This won't slip in any pocket.

In pic 4 there is a slot in the end of the drum with the handle, looks like it is to trap something. Also a lever in a quadrant. Any chance of a photo of the underneath?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Spyker on Wednesday, February 14, 2018 - 08:21 am:

A line shaft leather belt splicer or thickness roller?
Pushtruck - 30 miles south of Hershey

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Wednesday, February 14, 2018 - 10:26 am:

As a retired Millwright i can tell you what ever it is,it has nothing to do with belt splicing either Clipper or Alligater. Bud in Wheeler,Mi.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem S.E. Michigan on Wednesday, February 14, 2018 - 10:36 am:

Whatever it is, it's the best one I've seen!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Parker on Wednesday, February 14, 2018 - 11:09 am:

Shirt collar starch press.

Ken in Texas

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ronald Bolser - Danville, IL on Wednesday, February 14, 2018 - 06:29 pm:

I agree with Ken
A shirt collar press.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Oneal Lee on Wednesday, February 14, 2018 - 06:41 pm:

I believe it's going to be a razor-blade sharpener. There would have a pulley belt on the two rollers so that they would turn at the same time. Could you post a photo of the bottom?
Neal

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By kep on Wednesday, February 14, 2018 - 06:47 pm:

How would you fit a shirt in there?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Wednesday, February 14, 2018 - 06:59 pm:

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/vintage-shirt-collar-wringer-press-520003 467

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham, Blackfoot, Idaho on Wednesday, February 14, 2018 - 07:50 pm:

Just the collar, kep. Shirts used to have detachable collars.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Wednesday, February 14, 2018 - 07:58 pm:

The one pictured in the link looks industrial like a portable set of rollers for bending small iron?? Bud in Wheeler,Mi.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Strickling on Wednesday, February 14, 2018 - 07:58 pm:

A roll of one ply toilet paper came in from each side and was combined to make 2 ply T P.

In tough economic times it could turn the 2 ply back into 1 ply to save money by turning the crank in the opposite direction.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Gelfer, Milwaukee WI on Wednesday, February 14, 2018 - 09:34 pm:

Good one Tom. I like yours the best.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eugene Story on Thursday, February 15, 2018 - 08:24 am:

In hard time you are suppose to use both sides of the toilet paper

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eugene Story on Thursday, February 15, 2018 - 08:38 am:

YOU DON'T NEED THAT TO SAVE MONEY ON TOILET PAPER, JUST USE BOTH SIDES

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Thursday, February 15, 2018 - 09:25 am:

Each person uses 2 sheets of TP in hard times. One to wipe and one to clean their nails.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Thursday, February 15, 2018 - 11:03 am:

Dallas,Next time i visit i'll be the fat old guy sporting two rolls!!!Bud,Wheeler,Mi.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration