What is a 1915 block worth?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: What is a 1915 block worth?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Neil Kaminar on Tuesday, February 13, 2018 - 07:22 pm:

A friend of mine is down sizing and wants to sell some of his Model T stuff. I volunteered to help him by trying to research what things are worth. He has a pristine 1915 block which has been stored indoors and the matching head. No rust or cracks. He also has a set of Rocky Mountain brakes which have been recently re-lined. I realize that an exact price is not possible, especially site unseen, but I am looking for a range.

Thanks, Neil

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Tuesday, February 13, 2018 - 09:56 pm:

Somewhere between $300 and $1000 for a nice '15 block. Just HOW nice, and specifics about the bore and the mains and the valve seats (and the location) and just when during 1915 (casting date and serial number) all matters. Really nice '15 blocks (or ones already with mains or other machining done) can go even a bit higher. Ones with minor issues can go for even less. A few years ago I picked up a genuine late (December '15) 1915 block in solid condition with only a few minor issues (like the mains were toast) for $60 at the Bakersfield swap meet. It had sat there all day, unsold. I also picked up an October '15 casting date block with a flaky serial number (replacement) for $125 in excellent condition. A minor issue that cut the value a bunch.
There also has been a fairly nice mid '15 block on eBad for a couple years now that I have wished I could buy (it does have a minor water jacket crack repair, supposedly well done). The price has been "Buy it now" $300 for about two years. I have two problems. One, for the past two years, $300 has been tough to scrape up (although I do think I would have). And two, the seller is adamant that it is local pick-up only. And it is 2000 miles away. But nobody else has picked it up either.

Just my opinions, and a few examples. Brass era blocks go up rapidly in value with each year earlier they are.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, February 13, 2018 - 11:03 pm:

I saw one at Hershey for $200, but I didn't inspect it closely. It may have had some damage I didn't notice.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Neil Kaminar on Wednesday, February 14, 2018 - 01:13 pm:

Thanks all.

I hate to see someone get to the point where they have to start selling things and move into a smaller house. I guess it happens to us all at some point. The lucky ones drop dead before this happens.

Neil

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Wednesday, February 14, 2018 - 07:26 pm:

Some of us only have so much room to start with and seem to have things just come our way. If you know you are not going to use it, why hang on to it anyway. Get it into the hands of someone that will.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Susanne on Thursday, February 15, 2018 - 05:29 pm:

I've been eyeballing the one Wayne has been watching on eBay as well (I even have the $300 set aside for it, if...), but the whole pick up only kills it for me... (Anyone want to play shipping agent for me?)... I would love to have a spare for Angel, and that one fits the bill... but for that 2000 mile drive to and from.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Thursday, February 15, 2018 - 08:06 pm:

That seller need to put the date in the ad it's right there on the block. LOL there are a number of sellers that just keep listing the same parts at the same price over and over month in and month out. YOu would think that they would get a clue. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary London, Camarillo, CA on Thursday, February 15, 2018 - 10:35 pm:

Sort of related....

I am running a 1915 engine I just rebuilt in my 1911 now, while I go through my 1911 engine. It's close to stock except it has HC pistons. New babbit by Antique engine Bearing service, crank balanced, correct pan, rebuilt magneto coil, new triple gear pins and charged magnets, Watts clutch, balanced drums and flywheel, stainless valves, Carnegie touring cam, aluminum timing gear, correct head. I have about 85 miles on it now and expect that to be about 800 by the end of summer. It runs strong and smooth. I have a starter hogs head on it and the aluminum one will go with it. At that time I'll pull it and sell it. I'm in Southern CA, if you think you'll be interested let me know. It will be in the classifieds later this year if I don't have a buyer lined up yet.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Susanne on Friday, February 16, 2018 - 02:24 pm:

Gary, PM sent. Thanks!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration