Hartford Tubes

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Hartford Tubes
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Tuesday, February 13, 2018 - 11:53 pm:

Has anyone had any experience yet with the Hartford tubes that Bob is selling. They look real good in the pictures. I wonder though about those brass valve stems.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, February 14, 2018 - 12:22 am:

I used a Hartford tube in one of my new Riversides, but it's only been a couple of weeks so I can't tell you how they last. So far it's holding air. Being Mister Thrifty, I bought the rubber stem version and installed my own metal stems. If the ones Bob is selling are like the other current metal stem tubes, the stems are " like a Schrader 725.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Patterson-Nicholasville, Kentucky on Wednesday, February 14, 2018 - 06:20 am:

Several weeks ago I installed four metal stemmed "Hartford" tubes in clincher tires an so far they are holding air pressure.
That was after installing Coker tubes that came in the plastic bags (no longer sold) and marked "Made in E.E.E.C." that all failed to hold air pressure for more than a few days. Needless to say $@#%*.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Wednesday, February 14, 2018 - 11:19 am:

Keep us posted guys. We need to be able to buy good quality tubes! If those Hartford tubes do turn out to be good, wouldn't it be nice if we could buy them with no stem, so we could put our own valves in them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, February 14, 2018 - 11:54 am:

I suspect the rubber stem doesn't add much to the price of a tube. I have no problem with cutting it off and tossing it. But I do keep the valve core.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John F. Regan on Wednesday, February 14, 2018 - 11:57 am:

Steve:

Do you have a posting of a video on the "re-stemming" procedure that you use? I may end up doing that too on my older Stynoski cars that don't want to hold air.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, February 14, 2018 - 12:31 pm:

No video yet, just some stills.

Cut off the stem. There may be a little brass tube inside. It pulls out easily.

Smooth the stub. It doesn't hurt to leave a little.

I slather some contact cement on top of the flange as a sealant, spread the hole, and shove in the stem.

Ready for the outside hardware.

Use an original bridge washer, not a new one.

Tighten down the nut and you're ready to use the tube. Get it tight, but not so tight that you cut through the rubber.

If you're using dust covers correct for a Model T, Schrader 777 or 888 is the stem you want. I'm using the brass reproduction dust covers, which are larger, so my runabout has the larger Schrader 725 stems.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Wednesday, February 14, 2018 - 02:07 pm:

Here you go John.

http://www.sheepisland.com/cars/tech/metal_stems/

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Thursday, February 15, 2018 - 11:28 am:

The larger valve stems use the same dust cap. It's the rim nut that is different.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Hand on Thursday, February 15, 2018 - 12:42 pm:

Several years ago when I went to look at the touring car that I finally bought I had ask the owner if I could road test it. I had ask the owner if it was ready to go. He said yes, I never kicked the tires nor saw the low tire on the left rear. Coming back from a short ride I detected a flat it had spun off the rubber stem. I then repaired the tube the same way Steve showed and it works!!
I have since kept a stock of new tubes in 30x3,30x3.5 and 21" all bought from universal near Hershey. The 30's are all brass stemmed as I had no other selected used brass. Hope I am not in trouble when I need to use a tube I have in stock in the future!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary London, Camarillo, CA on Thursday, February 15, 2018 - 03:34 pm:

If you use balancing beads you want to install them before installing the metal valve stem; it's soooooo much easier with that relatively large hole!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration