Old Photo - Non T Electric

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Old Photo - Non T Electric
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marv Konrad (Green Bay Area) on Wednesday, February 14, 2018 - 01:47 am:

My grandson sent this to me. Said it was identified as a 1909 Baker Electric... Another one I'd never heard of. As kids, we did do the 'sledding thing', but behind a tractor in a farm field. Think law enforcement could approve of this today???

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Wednesday, February 14, 2018 - 03:46 am:

We used to find an old car hood and pull it behind a car with about 20 or 30 feet of rope in the country. Was a lot of fun, especially going around corners.:-( Had to watch out for corner posts in the fence lines. We don't get enough snow any more to do that now, not that any of the kids nowdays would. Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Wednesday, February 14, 2018 - 05:52 am:

Marv, may be of some interest to you, by the mid teens some 400 manufacturers represented in Michigan. 112,953 in total which over 40% are Fords

The Electric makers.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Denny Seth - Jefferson, Ohio on Wednesday, February 14, 2018 - 08:45 am:

A Tiskit a Tasket we take the kids to Grandma's in a Basket!

It solves the driver problem of having to listen to them ask "Are we there yet?" ...."I want a drink of Water!"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Wednesday, February 14, 2018 - 09:03 am:

Looks like great fun for the kids! Too bad if we tried that today they'd all be thrown in the clink, or at least fined. Pretty neat car too!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Wednesday, February 14, 2018 - 09:04 am:

I think there are a couple of posters here who have a Baker Electric.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charley shaver- liberal,mo. on Wednesday, February 14, 2018 - 09:12 am:

i have a coupe body for a woods. charley

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Matt Cwynar, Hell on Wednesday, February 14, 2018 - 10:13 am:

I would love to see some picture of that woods body Charley.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gilbert V. I. Fitzhugh on Wednesday, February 14, 2018 - 10:19 am:

About 50 years ago, when I lived in Minnesota, Tom Reese invited my then-wife and me to bring the kids (aged 3 and 1) to a T-boggan party. He had his '13 out on the ice on Lake Minnetonka with tire chains on the wheels and a toboggan tied to the rear axle. Temperature about -20F. It was a hoot!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Wednesday, February 14, 2018 - 10:21 am:

About the first i can remember was my mother pulling us on our WW-2 jeep.Later after people griped we used the C Allis and the longer the rope the more fun.The flying saucer's were way more fun than a sled.Bud in Wheeler,Mi.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham, Blackfoot, Idaho on Wednesday, February 14, 2018 - 10:27 am:

Never heard of "hooky-bobbin' " ? Kids would hook their coasting bob-sleds onto sleighs and heavier sledges and ride from one end of town to the other and back in horse - drawn times. This is an overlapping period, likely there was still a lot of horse traffic when this was taken.

In my day, "hooky-bobbin' " degraded to reckless teenagers grabbing the bumpers of passing cars and sliding along on their shoe-leather when streets were hard-packed with snow and ice. By then it was frowned on and cops would give kids a lecture if they caught them at it, but not many were ever caught.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charley shaver- liberal,mo. on Wednesday, February 14, 2018 - 10:58 am:

mat! i wood have to have your e-mail to send pics as they are to big to post here. charley

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Andreasen on Wednesday, February 14, 2018 - 11:02 am:

My wife was raised on a cattle ranch here locally. She told me that "winter fun" was an inflated inner tube with at least three kids aboard, pulled by a pickup. At the appropriate moment the driver would make a sharp turn, hurtling the tube and kids into a field at top speed. No one ever got hurt, but that's because OSHA didn't exist back then.......

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Wednesday, February 14, 2018 - 11:10 am:

Very elegant transportation.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marv Konrad (Green Bay Area) on Wednesday, February 14, 2018 - 12:49 pm:

As a youngster, "Crack the whip" was always an experience, whether ice skating, riding a coaster, tube, or even an improvised car-hood 'toboggan'... One time though, our toboggan was a strip of sheet metal from a wind-destroyed barn roof, one end of it rolled around a chunk of firewood, and nailed together. Triangle loop, then a rope to the hitch... "Let's go!" (We've got a 40 to speed through...) "Crack the whip!" When one of the cousins got thrown off and 'sliced', (it could'a been a whooooole-lot worse), well... "Bill & Irma" had to go and stick their noses into our fun! ("Boys will be boys!".... Kids' adrenaline or not, OSHA probably wouldn't have 'approved' either.)

Today's sheltered young-uns don't get those experiences. Maybe someone could make an 'app' for that???

Take Care; Behave; Stay Warm (and)
"Happy T-ing"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Wednesday, February 14, 2018 - 05:37 pm:

Looks like grandma is seated so she can keep an eye on the wee ones. When the car stops she can watch them disappear under the rear, just before their little brains are bashed out on the back of the car. Stupidity is nothing new.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marv Konrad (Green Bay Area) on Wednesday, February 14, 2018 - 08:30 pm:

The car? Wikipedia has this recorded:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baker_Motor_Vehicle

Take Care; Behave; Stay Warm (and)
"Happy T-ing"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Howard C. Sullivan on Wednesday, February 14, 2018 - 08:59 pm:

We used Norge Tins, it was the front part of the refridgerator as they were made in Muskegon, Mi. our home town...I think some were rejects that became available.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Wednesday, February 14, 2018 - 09:21 pm:

Grand kids still love it today!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Wednesday, February 14, 2018 - 09:33 pm:

Good on you Dallas,But i had no idea you were old enough to be a grandad!Bud in Wheeler,Mi.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Wednesday, February 14, 2018 - 09:46 pm:

The girls have a little brother now Bud. December brought my 1st grandson! The girls love riding in the T. Caliber will get his 1st ride this summer Im sure.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Luke Markham----central TX. on Wednesday, February 14, 2018 - 10:14 pm:

Well that looks very familiar to me.

One day the other week my best friend and I got bored so we decided to grab a piece of plywood and a long rope, and tie the plywood to the back of our tractor. One person hopped on the plywood while the other was on the tractor and we took turns trying to throw the other person off the "sled" when going around turns. We didn't have any snow, but the hay field was dry enough that we just slid on the grass.

What else are you supposed to do without snow?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C-west central, MN on Thursday, February 15, 2018 - 01:09 am:

Fun thread! We had a 40's car hood with a tow-bar hooked directly to the hitch of the 74 SL-338-D Yamaha. Too much fun but that Yamaha sucked.
My 72 Puma is cooler and way easier on belts!
Larry is right about the "Very elegant transportation." post.
Someplace, I hope I still have the broken name-plate for a Detroit in flowing script. Possibly an electric.
It should be up in the attic.
Even tho it's disliked here to claim to be in an "industry", I still find it VERY interesting that some of these electric automobiles were outfitted with perhaps 14, 6 Volt batteries that provided the power. 84 Volts, straight DC and a controller/throttle!
I've been in and out of this "Industry" for a bunch of years and find it fascinating that nowadays we can use a single 84 volt battery (48, 2 Volt cells encased in a steel housing) or 14, 6 Volt gel cells to power a "brain"/controller that gives the drive motor 84 Volt, 3 phase power with a ring in the motor to tell the computer (brain) how fast the motor is turning and miniscule wires from the throttle to the "brain" to adjust your speed.
These electric automobiles are fascinating. Thank you for posting this Marv!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Thursday, February 15, 2018 - 11:17 am:

I remember as a teenager, I was always fascinated by old cars. There was a repair shop not far away that had a Beardsley Electric. Ever heard of one of those?

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration